Camera that takes pro pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've now jumped over to Canon which I reckon is far better than Nikon, just my opinion.

Don't know how you decided this :p
O.p. both Nikon and Canon are great and both make enthusiast models up to full frame pro cameras. I like olympus cameras but for me sensor size is everything :)

Thanks for all the replies :) Theres alot of info on the nickons, can anyone recommend me some good canon cameras and accessories?

Ok i've found one that i think is good its the canon eos 7D...
Which is better? Canon EOS 7D
OR
Nikon D7000?

I know it will be personal preference but just would like to see the response.

Last edited:
Good Canons, really anything from a 600D up to a 5D are good quality cameras. For accessories it depends if you wanted to do macro work you can't go past the Twin Lite MT-24EX flash system which is superb for macro. Nikon also has a similar system to this. Otherwise you could just go with your standard one on camera flash, for versatility in which case the Canon flashes are the Speedlite series numbered 270EX II, 430EX II, 580EX II.

Lenses certainly need to be upgraded from standard kit lenses. Buying body only and another lens is the way to go. For macro I would recommend you don't go with the Canon made lens but go with the Tamron 90mm macro lens which is cheaper and still very good. For a second lens you might want something more versatile such as a 70mm-300mm lens that can be used both for telephoto birds as well as for general shots including things like landscape.

The Canon 7D is a great camera in my opinion better than the equivalent Nikon camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies :) Theres alot of info on the nickons, can anyone recommend me some good canon cameras and accessories?

Ok i've found one that i think is good its the canon eos 7D...
Which is better? Canon EOS 7D
OR
Nikon D7000?

I know it will be personal preference but just would like to see the response.

Either or is fine IMO...
Go to the camera stores and ask to check both models, see which one you like the "feel" of. Then work out the cost of each kit too see which way your better off. I use Nikon as I said and the whole Cannon V Nikon thing is like Holden and Ford, you'll always get people on either side ;).
In the end it's going to be your camera and your $$$, spend it on which ever one you like better.... In all honety though I think Canons are more user friendly (though I'm pro Nikon).

Thanks am going to Harvey Norman soon to see what they have and if they can do me some deals ;)
I've always quite liked the canons over Nikon but as you say exactly like Holden V Ford.
I'm quite new in photography and want to get something good that will last keep me happy with it. I will have a look at the d7000 too and compare :D

Ok just been into Harvey Norman, gonna get a Canon 7D with 18-200mm lenses and they're gonna chuck a free flash in with it :) They've just ordered it so it should be here within the week.

Either or is fine IMO...
the whole Cannon V Nikon thing is like Holden and Ford, you'll always get people on either side ;).
In the end it's going to be your camera and your $$$, spend it on which ever one you like better.... In all honety though I think Canons are more user friendly (though I'm pro Nikon).

Could not agree more.......
(another Nikon-lover)

A good camera will certainly help you take better pics, but it's not as easy as picking it up and pointing at the subject and shooting. Even the best camera can't compose or position lighting for you. A pro camera won't make you a pro photographer, but a decent slr is a good place to start learning.

That said, I'm a fan of the nikons. Start out with something like a d90, spend some money on lenses, and an external flash or two, and start from there.

Good luck :)

I like the title of this thread "camera that takes pro pics". ..... I would like one too. The photographer can be a total idiot but the camera will take pro quality pics anyway. :D:rolleyes:

Nice one... that'll pretty much cover most of the range you'll be shooting in to get started.

Thanks, it's mainly gonna be used to photograph my reptiles but i will use it for other things too like landscapes and birds and people... I tested out some other lenses and i think the 18-200mm will best suit what i want to use the camera for.

I like the title of this thread "camera that takes pro pics". ..... I would like one too. The photographer can be a total idiot but the camera will take pro quality pics anyway. :D:rolleyes:

Based on the same logic I'll start a new thread called " anyone recommend a saucepan set that makes cordon bleu dinners"

Congrats on your camera purchase, 18-200 is very versatile and at least you'll get to know which focal lengths you mostly use. I would recommend getting a 35mm F2 or 50mm 1.8 as your first prime - both are relativity cheap and will give you a good boost in image quality for the dollar. 35 for more general shooting and the 50 as a portait lens. Research Lightroom and post processing.. best to shoot RAW files.
With the 50mm you can get some cheap kenko extension tubes off eBay so you can adapt it for macro work until you can afford a decent macro lens.
Bryan Peterson has some great books for getting started in the art of photography - 'Understanding Exposure' - 'Understanding Flash Photography' - 'Learning to see Creatively' etc... Can get good deals from fishpond or amazon.
Learn to shoot manual, study aperture, shutterspeed and ISO relationships and go from there... It's all about the light!!! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back