Can a snake die from over eating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry for your loss mate :( We all make mistakes, unfortunately this one cost a life...the only advice I can give that has not been given is BUY AN ELECTRIC SCALE! Weigh your snake and then way the food item, should be 20% of the body weight (I think)

Be more careful in future :)
RIP little woma :(

While I can agree with the fact the rat has probably rotten before digestion I don't think 600grams would be accurate for the rat. That's a very big rat and a decent sized woma would struggle getting that down. I've got some very large womas who can take a big feed but 600g, I dunno.

If it was due to a rupture of the stomach lining as suggested I would expect to see a black fluid, maybe in small quantities but quite foul smelling. Bile.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think Pauls_Pythons and MitchR1 hit it on the head. The death appeared to be caused by a ruptured stomach lining. When I found Jasmine, there was a black fluid in one corner of the tank - which was nauseating. For those who asked, she died 2 days after the feed and was close to 1.6m (? maybe a bit more.. not sure).

On reflection, it was a really silly thing to do. Should have stuck to the usual routine and fed her 200g rats. I hope others learn from this mistake as I certainly wouldn't be making it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back