Can someone please identify my python!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a coastal and really never where told what it was? Not on license? Some seller doing there part

Cheers Brenton

He was given it as a new born and sold it to me not long after. His knowledge went no further than knowing what end the head was at haha. But thank you very much for your help Brenton.

Seb

Hey Brenton, Also this might sound silly but could you put a rough estimate of its age by looking at the photo? Its about 30cm and no thicker than a permanent marker if that helps?

Thanks Seb

It look s like a carpet of some discription and do you have paper work for this animal. if yes what does paperwork say.
Why did you buy a snake that you didnt know origins and why did you get a hatchling when obviously you are not experienced. Good luck in your endeavours i hope for its sake it feeds easily.

Should I start off hand/force feeding?

Do you know if it was eating and if so what? Force feeding is a technique of last resort, along with live feeding. If you search this forum (use Google to search, not the search feature at the top of the page), you'll find a lot of different techniques you can try before you have to use either of those.

First try to feed your python the simple way. Make sure your python is comfortable - for example, good temperatures and hiding places - and leave him to settle in for a week. Then offer him a pinky mouse. If you're lucky he'll simply take it. If not you can start trying tricks.

Keep in mind that an otherwise healthy python, even a small one, can survive for a long time without food.

and if the OP isn't a troll? Who are you to decide that this person is a troll? If you can't give decent info then why bother?

I would say its a young hatchling maybe 2 sheds as you can start to see black coming through here's one of mine it's had two sheds
8a827ae3-cd0c-20b2.jpg

Cheers Brenton

For the ones that gave me valid info (Brenton & Renenet) I thank you as I am very new to this. I can tell you this is not a troll I am just very uneducated :s
I have only had him 3 days now and he has been settling in nicely. He was quite aggressive but over the few days I've had him he had calmed down alot. I put a live skink in his pen which is untouched. being this big i was unsure as to whether he could manage a pinky. Now that I know, how should i go about feeding him from here?

Also the bulb on my heating lamp blew and living on an island I have had to use a normal 30w bulb. Can you please give me some tips to help relieve him of stress untill I can replace his bulb. (next week)

Thank you all for your patience
Seb

"WrightPython" if you are going to be negative and start arguments when I am genuinely in need of help to care for my new python I suggest you go elsewhere.

No hate here :)

i smells a troll a big troll
I would start of by giving it a full size male mouse

Hows this for constructive? Please listen to everyone else apart from the member I have quoted, as he enjoys baiting and putting people down and has not given you good advice.

A hatchy that size should be on pinkie mice.

Please don't be afraid of coming back here with more questions as we aren't all obnoxious fools with nothing better to do then antagonize people.

Constructive enough for you?

Live skink = breaking the law.
Why did you get a hatchie if you have no idea.
Now for the HELP.
Leave him be for at least a week or two
When offering food try not to disturb except to initiate feeding response
do not handle him for a few weeks if not a couple of months.
Forget pinkie mice, there to small and not very nutricious
Offer pinkie rats day old, touch him around neck to initiate bite.
Failing that use furry mice that dont have there eyes open yet, i use live first up but only to initiate feeding response.
If none of these work try baby quaill or at least quaill feathers in mouth of pinkie rat.
do not feed live skinks, if you have to feed skinks which you shouldnt but remove tails and let skinks go then freeze tails for at least a week to kill parasites.Then use tails to scent pinkies.
Go out and buy a small click clack of about five liters, easier to control temps and snake feels safer in a smaller area
It seems the person who sold you the snake needs his **** kicked as no one of breeding interlect would sell noobe hatchie without feeding history.
Good luck james
P.s i wasnt the only one to think troll and i didnt think it until stuff food down gob post

Last edited:
Feeding - Go get a pack of fuzzy or hopper mice from your local pet shop stick one in a zip lock bag and into a bowl with warm water not hot wait for the mouse to defrost and then empty the bowl of water and refill it with warm water and put the mouse back in to warm it up, once it's defrosted offer the defrosted mouse to the snake by either putting the mouse in it's enclosure or grab a pair of tongs and dangle the mouse in front of it.. Though I would be waiting until you fix up your heating before you offer it a feed.

Heating - depending on how big your enclosure is and how it's setup a 30w would put of a bit of heat and should do until you can get your hands on another globe, have you got a thermometer in the enclosure.. Is your enclosure running a thermostat?

With it only being a juvi personally I'd be setting up a click clack for it and keeping it in that until it's got a bit more size check this link out...

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/

Where about's you from?

This is all very good info for me. Thanks for the link.

Is the click clack used a permanent home for the hatchie?

and take a look at the first photo i posted do you think he is to big to be living in a lunchbox?
i dont have a heat mat is there an alternative to heating the click clack.

One last thing, Is it dangerous for the snakes welfare to handle him at such a young age and only having him for 3 days and to have him in a normal tank with such a dodgy heating setup? (keep in mind it is only temporary)

This all sounds so bad on my behalf but I am trying my best :(
He seems healthy and is showing alot of movement.

i have diamond and coastal hatchies that would be the same age as yours. They are living in 5lt hatchie tubs. if you dont have heat mat etcyou can use a light bulb as long as long as its old type( new ones dont emit heat). which ever way you go use thermostat so you dont cook snake. Its not dangerous for the snake but it can be upsetting for them after all they dont know if your a predator and in the wild everything else out there will eat them. It can take longer to get them started if you handle them to much. He looks in good nick do you know if hes eaten anything. As far as to big i have womas that are only two months old and they are 60 cm long as fat as broomsticks and they are still in 5lt click clacks. What Isle are you on

This is all very good info for me. Thanks for the link.

Is the click clack used a permanent home for the hatchie?

and take a look at the first photo i posted do you think he is to big to be living in a lunchbox?
i dont have a heat mat is there an alternative to heating the click clack.

One last thing, Is it dangerous for the snakes welfare to handle him at such a young age and only having him for 3 days and to have him in a normal tank with such a dodgy heating setup? (keep in mind it is only temporary)

This all sounds so bad on my behalf but I am trying my best :(
He seems healthy and is showing alot of movement.

No problems, yup the click clack is used as it's home until it has a bit of size to it personally I leave my juvi's in click clacks until there at least yearlings then move them into there permanent setups when I'm happy with there size. A lunch box would be to small you want around a 30L tub go to kmart or big W etc and look for a tub a good brand to look for is sistema as the bottom on them are fairly flat so you can put a heat mat or heat cord under it, if you go to the link it will give you info on how to set it up.

I'd be leaving it alone until you sort out a click clack then put it in there offer it a feed and leave it for a week or two to settle in.

If your located in the north west Sydney area when I have some time I'm more than happy to come help you out and get it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back