Can You keep sea turtles as pets in Vic?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yip- whale sharks don't feed in captivity, so they have an aquarium life of about 8 weeks or so at most. Nevermind, just grab a new one once the old one runs out.

Jedi of the sea..awesome. Stay gold,pony boy.

while were at it i want a mermaid!!!!preferably one that can't talk so i can replace the wife............bahahahahaha :)

Apologies-got my whale shark confused with my basking shark... whale shark, basking shark,potato..potahto? Damn that paul clarkson and his insane ramblings.

I still can not imagine that they have a long shelf life... considering in the wild they would eat ALL DAY LONG ... the amount they provide in this linked video could not be enough to more than maintain life for a short while?

In Chongking in Western China there are Green Sea Turtles
Most were brought there during the Japanese invasion in about 1938
LONG way from the sea
But they seem to be doing ok and are looked after like babies

Funnily enough I was talking to one of the undrwater world rescue guys about turtles today...sounds like things aren't looking too rosy for them or the dugong in moreton bay, which is a real shame. Have you seen any of the captives, longqi? Turtles, I mean, not dugong...can't imagine feeding and cleaning one of those would be much fun.

Also absolutely no plans for captive whale or basking sharks there, which is not a shame at all.

Yes many times
First thing I do when I visit Chongking
They are is a pool in a shopping centre so you just walk up and touch them
Bit different to Aus

Crocodiles are protected species to but you can have them as pets. Keep them for two years then give them to a farm where your pet ends up as somebodies purse, or hamburger.

It would be kind of cool if they could do the 2 year program for sea turtles, noto to send them to farms but release them in the wild..though I doubt they would survive but it would be a nice way to increase numbers if it was possible....

You can keep crocs indefinately if you make an appropriate enclosure. I have a mate with a sweet setup out in Humpty Dumpty.

Crocodiles are protected species to but you can have them as pets. Keep them for two years then give them to a farm where your pet ends up as somebodies purse, or hamburger.

It would be kind of cool if they could do the 2 year program for sea turtles, noto to send them to farms but release them in the wild..though I doubt they would survive but it would be a nice way to increase numbers if it was possible....

Problem is that unlike crocs, sea turtles will not breed in captivity. As far as I know, anyway. As soon as you open up the possibility of keeping them, you'll get douche bags out there abusing the right and taking them from already threatened wild populations.

Like the turtles in a shopping centre..sounds amazing, but if we did it here in oz bogans would be taking them out in their eskies.

Nope, I'm pretty sure Humpty Dumpty is real ............ just don't startle the little fella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back