Cane Toad found in Baxter Victoria

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisreptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
i work at bunarong aquarium in frankston and yestersay a customer from baxter e-mailed us pictures of a frog asking if we thought that it was a cane toad, and looking at the pictures it was obviusly a toad.

so he brought it in today, its about 100-120mm long so im guessing its just a subadult.

sorry i dont have any pics.

do you think that it was brought down here by humans? or are they breeding down here?

cheers

Chris,

It's definitely translocated. It's quite common for them to be found all over Australia, but they don't normally survive. The population of them here in SEQ was incredibly low up until the start of the year, when the rain came. There are now literally millions upon millions of young ones emerging from any little puddle that could possibly support them. Time to break out the golf clubs...

Yeah...they're spreading so fast - cane toads are one of the few things i dont feel bad killing....(mosquites, reptile food and cane toads)

Chris,

It's definitely translocated. It's quite common for them to be found all over Australia, but they don't normally survive. The population of them here in SEQ was incredibly low up until the start of the year, when the rain came. There are now literally millions upon millions of young ones emerging from any little puddle that could possibly support them. Time to break out the golf clubs...

Cane toad

In recent times, a bloke in Nth. Vic. got fined big time for having 2 Buffo marinus in his possesion!

I wish he had a gaol sentance (unless he planned to kill them ) for keeping an animal that should be exterminated without predijuce. IMO anyone who lets one of them to live should be fined very big time, unles they are too busy , then the informant can kill it and then they are liable. There should be a bounty on their bodies and eggs, as a taxpayer I would rather see money going into this bounty thanj othe rubbish that it is spent on. Save our fauna with everything you have but only if you can ID something properly.

KILL ALL CANETOADS in Australia

Cheers

Dettol works very well, it just kills everything else too, so be careful where you squirt it.

Thanks for the responses everyone,

i thought it was a translocation to jonno, i just couldnt think of the word lol

the DSE should be picking it up tomorrow and disposing of it.

Thanks for the responses everyone,

i thought it was a translocation to jonno, i just couldnt think of the word lol

the DSE should be picking it up tomorrow and disposing of it.

Dettol works very well, it just kills everything else too, so be careful where you squirt it.

A great choice if you are into animal cruelty, IMO the best way is a solid wack to the head. You can fridge and freeze them if you are into stressing them out for a slow and supposedly painless death. An airgun fired at the base of the neck or brain also works well if you are in a situation where its legal to use guns.

A great choice if you are into animal cruelty, IMO the best way is a solid wack to the head. You can fridge and freeze them if you are into stressing them out for a slow and supposedly painless death. An airgun fired at the base of the neck or brain also works well if you are in a situation where its legal to use guns.

Get over it, not eveybody can get hold of a gun to shoot them, and a solid whack to the head doesnt always kill them, they suck their guts back in and still hop off. Dettol has killed them the quickest and with the amount of toads i get near my place, i have had plenty of practice. Don't start on the cruelty to animals debate, cos we could argue all day about how cruel it is to feed crickets to our herps.

Get over it, not eveybody can get hold of a gun to shoot them, and a solid whack to the head doesnt always kill them, they suck their guts back in and still hop off. Dettol has killed them the quickest and with the amount of toads i get near my place, i have had plenty of practice. Don't start on the cruelty to animals debate, cos we could argue all day about how cruel it is to feed crickets to our herps.

Fair enough, I dont pretend to care about the well being of animals or ppl that are out of my control or contact. I was just pointing out its a very cruel way to kill them, if you dont mind killing animals in an unnecessarily cruel way go for it, i would rather them killed even if you dont want to be humane about it.

Cris – I agree with you – all animals have a right not to put through suffering (Die a cruel death).

The preferred method is cooling and then freezing – but at least one government body has suggested use of dettol – it shorts out the brain of the toad (Much like electrocuting the toad). See snippet with original article on the Queensland EPA website.

Use of golf clubs or other methods of bashing a cane toad to death is illegal and would not suggest telling the world about it by posting here. I understand someone recently got fined $15,000 for bashing a cane toad to death via use of a golf club. Clubbing cane toads also risk injury to the clubber (Cane Toad poison splatter)

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/register/p00820aq.pdf
Cane toads are a risk to tadpoles and mature frogs. Whether or not you have a pond, it is a good idea to collect them at night and freeze them in a plastic bag. Beware the poison glands on their backs. Another humane method for killing them (there is no reason to be cruel — they didn’t ask to come here) is to squirt them with Dettol or Toadex — but not salt. The bodies can be composted.

Use of golf clubs or other methods of bashing a cane toad to death is illegal and would not suggest telling the world about it by posting here.

Where does it say you cant kill a toad by bashing its head? as far as i know blunt trauma to the brain(instant stop to brain function) is considered a humane and perfectly legal method of euthanasia. I have never had a problem with the poison as i hit their head not the shoulders where the glands are. I dont encourage the use of golf clubs unless you are a pro golfer i suspect many golf clubbed toads would take days-weeks to die if they die at all.

Spraying detol on a toad is probably about equal to injecting it into a mamals veins.

detol works well but seems to make them roll around in obvious distress for quite a while .
on the upside tho toads that are killed with detol dont attract scavangers if they get away and die somewhere.
a good high volume water pistol with a 30% detol to 70% water is very effective.

If a toad just gets up after you've given it a whack to the nearest hard surface, then it means that you're not hitting it hard enough. I pick them up by the back legs, and peg them into the fence (which is wood) or concrete. Ta-Da! Instant death. And yes, this is the preferred method of euthenasia, other than C02 gasing, because many people don't have the equipment/knowledge to using the gasing method (like me, who doesn't have the equipment).

I once did a trial of Metho versus Dettol in one night, and found Metho to be much better. Than, the night after, I did a Metho versus blunt trauma, and the blunt trauma won hands down. Also, danger because of toad poison spray back is not a high risk, unless the poison lands in your mouth/nose/eyes, or in a cut. Otherwise, just wash it off with a good, strong soap.

Also, if I kill a cane toad with blunt force trauma, then I always spray them with something to ward away scavengers, such as Metho, Ajax or, indeed, Dettol. That way, I elimiate the stress to the animal by a slow death from toxic liquids.

I understand someone recently got fined $15,000 for bashing a cane toad to death via use of a golf club..

I should bloody well hope so. What a horrid thing to do to an animal. After all the talk on here about how despicable it is to violently kill snakes that wander across people's paths, I'm amazed that anyone would think it acceptable to bludgeon another species of sentient animal to death, even a big ugly poisonous one. Bag ém and freeze ém, folks, it's far kinder.

I should bloody well hope so. What a horrid thing to do to an animal. After all the talk on here about how despicable it is to violently kill snakes that wander across people's paths, I'm amazed that anyone would think it acceptable to bludgeon another species of sentient animal to death, even a big ugly poisonous one. Bag ém and freeze ém, folks, it's far kinder.

Oh come on. I bet no one on here would like to die in a freezer. Why should a cane toad be put through it? Its a slow, and painful way to die. They don't die peacefully, they die because their organs shut down one after the other. When i go to QLD i kill as many toads i can. A quick hit to the head with a golf club or bat and they are gone.

Kathryn_,

Maybe you should watch your pet dog die, a native bird die, or any other animal your fond of die slowly as the poison from a cane toad flows through their body. Maybe you should watch, like some family i know in QLD all the green tree frogs die and disappear from their backyard as the toads ate them and took their habitat. People shouldn't feel sympathy for an animal like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back