Cane Toads and outdoor lizard pits - SEQ

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LippyM

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I’ve recently moved from NSW to QLD. I’d like to set up a new outdoor area for my lizards and to make light work of it my yard has lots of ‘ready made’ raised garden areas that just need a section fenced or bordered off, see on the attached pics. Plus netting, draingage etc, but the groundworks are basically done and would require no planting out.

My question is in relation to cane toads. I can rake the area clear and remove any of the larger toads sitting in the mulch and leaf litter, but what are the chances of young or not yet born toadlets being under all that and then coming to the surface?

I understand that cane toads lay eggs in water but in my yard at least they seem go to ground while still pretty small.

Would I be better off starting from scratch as I have done in the past or do you think that the likelihood of there being small toads left in the outdoor area to be minimal and of no concern?

I don't even know if my lizards would eat a toad or toadlet if they came across it, and I'm assuming, although maybe incorrectly, that an ingested baby toad is going to be toxic same as an adult.

Any help from others who keep lizards outdoors in QLD appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

SAM_3229.JPG

SAM_3236.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back