Cannibalism

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive read of snakes swallowing or attempting to swallow snakes as big as or bigger than themselves, sometimes with fatal consequences because they could not regurtitate. I would watch for dominance displays quite closley or rehouse one depending on how brave you are. :wink:

Last year i was running 2 hatchling maccies together,3 weeks of age both the same size neither had had there first feed sense hacthing,
Woke up 1 morning to find one had eaten the other then reguritated it back up.

Spoke to another breeder who also had the same exsperience last year.

No longer house them together.

I dont like putting snakes together all the time, there are benifits for not, like lesson the chance of cannibalism, stimulating breeding and isolating any deseases or health problem that may occure, but the only benifit to housing them together I think is room space. However large enclosures with plenty of hides you shouldnt have much of a problem. I found the scareist time is after feeding when the sent of prey is on one snake and the other/s are still hunger, even I have seen some of my snakes try and eat their water bowls because of the smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back