Canon dSLR batteries- genuine vs generic?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I now have an awesome Canon 600D which I absolutely love! I'l be going to Seaworld this Saturday and am pretty sure it will well and truly get a workout, so would like to try and get perhaps two spare batteries (at least, for now).

I was wondering how many of you use generic vs. genuine batteries? I've been looking at them on ebay and theres only a few that would get here in time, otherwise its $70 from the local electronics store for a genuine battery (which, if I had been working that would be fine, but I literally only just finished uni)

Here's some I've found;
- There's one on ebay, $32 for an apparently genuine canon battery that just has a different language on it, and the $32 covers express post- so it'd get here on time

then theres multiple others that seem to be around $10 for a single, generic branded battery. I've noticed most have the same mAh as the genuine ones, but the voltageis 7.4 rather than 7.2 on the genuines- does this matter?

Also finally.. I've found another seller from Hong Kong selling 'genuine' canon batteries, in their packaging for $13 with free postage- this is startig to sound too good to be true for future batteries, though they wont get to me in time for saturday...

anyway- thoughts? what do you use? do you have any links to a reliable place to get them from? (if so, maybe pm me, not sure if the links are allowed)

Edit; after reading around, I've found these- are these likely to be true?
- "The 550D's charger will only charge a chipped battery (as the LP-E8 are). Cheaper generic batteries won't have the chip"
- "Yes. But I will no longer buy non genuine. A couple of weeks ago I had a high quality generic battery explode in the house. And I mean explode."

Last edited:
Hiya

Ive bought generic batteries for Canon Eos500D as well as countless laptops etc from Chinese sellers on ebay.

In most cases, the battery was not genuine, despite the fact they were sold as genuine; and they had nowhere near the lifespan of the real deal. In the case of my laptop, some flat out refused to charge or went unrecognised by the device when they were plugged in.

As far as I am aware, Canon donot marekt a battery with a non CANON logo, regardless of the country. I suspect these would be fakes.

At the end of the day; the lesson I have learnt is if you spend good money on good equipment, why not use good running gear inside it too ? I only use the good stuff when filling my car, and it thanks me for it with good performance. A camera as sweet as a 600D deserves to be respected with a good battery.

But that's only my two cents; I'm sure people have had positive experiences with the generic stuff too... but if it came down to my camera; I would be sticking genuine batteries in it ;)

Try JB HiFi (who are ALWAYS negotiable), or a Teds Camera House or an official Canon dealer.

I've heard mixed opinions about the batteries, hence why I'm asking here- for a few more opinions :) If there is any potential risk I will be buying genuine batteries from the local stores, no doubt about it!

The $32 ones incl. express post (seller is located in Brisbane) look like they do have a Canon logo on, and in the canon packaging, and the feedback seems to be ok.. but I'm not sure..

I'm pedantic bout my camera gear... I only use genuine parts. No point risking my DSLR on generic batts to save $50, could be out over 1k if it shorts and fries my cam (just my view).

Fair enough :) thanks! I shall buy some soon!

Actually when you put it that way... I feel really stupid for asking! But I just wasn't sure whether the batteries were safe, or risky.

With genuine batteries from reputable stores costing ~$100 for my camera, I bought a couple others as backup for $30 all up off ebay.

I've shot with generic batteries in 2 different Canons over 100,000 frames over the past 4 years with no issues. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but you can also drop your camera no matter how pedantic you are...

Your choice, I've made mine with no shortcomings thus far.

Mhmm the way my luck goes sometimes, if something can go wrong, it will... if I knew the batteries were safe, but just had a shorter battery life I could deal with that, but I'd be devastated if something happened to the camera, especially because I only just got it!

My Oly stopped working on generic brand batteries - and I think they broke my older Oly!

With genuine batteries from reputable stores costing ~$100 for my camera, I bought a couple others as backup for $30 all up off ebay.

I've shot with generic batteries in 2 different Canons over 100,000 frames over the past 4 years with no issues. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but you can also drop your camera no matter how pedantic you are...

Your choice, I've made mine with no shortcomings thus far.

Yep dropping my camera is one of my fears as well, that's why I don'y cheap out on straps either. I use a CarrySpeed sling for my gear ;)

ok I didn't like that because it messed your cameras up- just to clarify! I definitely won't touch generics... too risky especially with my luck!

Thanks guys :)

Yep dropping my camera is one of my fears as well, that's why I don'y cheap out on straps either. I use a CarrySpeed sling for my gear ;)
Dropped mine twice, no fault to straps. Tried to athletically jump up on the tray of a ute for a better height advantage, mis-stepped and "BANG" lens in half and camera damaged.
Second time my bag's zipper broke as I was lifting it out of my car and out came camera + lens straight onto concrete... exact same result!
I now have a new L lens and 5D for less than 1 grand my money all up thanks to their generous rental clause! Not that I'm saying drop your camera though, one of the most horrible feelings I've ever had....

Kitah just to warn you anything can go wrong on your camera. I say that to make sure you enjoy using it, not be afraid to use it because you're worried of breaking it. I've shot in pouring rain, had waves crash over me whilst out wakeboarding, had my camera caked in dust from mountain biking (will again this weekend) and none of those broke my camera. I've been out shooting a car event and from one image to the next my camera just stops working. I've picked my camera out of my bag, turned it on and found an error message.
Just shoot, have fun and failures are part of it, no matter where they come from.

P.S. my first failure wasn't till about 35,000 frames in, just to clarify it wasn't brand new or anything when it happened.

Oh, its all good- I'll still take shots of what I want :) I loved a 'hybrid' type camera I had years ago and would still go out in the rain with it for brief periods... Might be a bit more wary with this one, but it still won't stop me from getting shots I want :)

Good to hear!

Get yourself a solid (department store style) plastic bag that doesn't degrade, cut/ break a small hole down in one corner and push your lens through it so it just stretches around it. Fold the bag back over the camera/your hand and voila, free rain cover!

I use generic and genuine in my sony I find them to be good from hong kong and bad from china have been using them for a few years now. I purchased a rain cover made of good vynle from ebay for $5.00

I had a problem with my Nikon D200 one day it just died after putting a brand new charged generic battery in it I got off ebay I sent it back under warranty with the Nics in it and it was fixed and sent back no explanation of what failed but the generic batts all went in the bin coincidence maybe but not one I would chance after it was out of warranty.

really now that I think of it the D200 was 2k alone for the body when I got it skimping on batteries well really it wasn't the best idea.

I've used several generics in canon EOS digital SLRs with no dramas.

Just posting to say I bought a genuine canon one for $62, managed to get it a bit cheaper :) thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.