Captive tiger snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...before the flame the reason why im keeping a tiger snake is due to my location(tasmania) and the current laws on keeping australian snakes.

I was just wondering if many of you have kept these wonderful snakes and how they have went keeping them in captive? ive noticed they are a really relaxed snake who also dont mind being held for a brief period :) has anyone tamed theirs up?

Also did you encounter any problems when keeping them??

Here is a pic of my little fellow:

(and once again, yes i know they are a dangerous animal and they shouldnt be kept but unfortunatly i have no choice and i do truly love tiger snakes..)

G'day Razon,

I keep a few Tigers and have worked with a few hundred over the last several years. I'm always a little cautious of them...of all the snakes we had "near misses" with, Tigers were probably the lead of the pack compared to big QLD Browns and Taipans because we were all a little complacent with them after a while. They also have a pretty nasty feeding response and I have seen someone freehandling one get a love bite because of it.

They really hate the heat, but in general are great captive snakes.

I know a few people with tigers at both ends of the scale, mine is as placid as you could ask for, a mates are psyco, and want to kill anything that moves.

Hey guys...before the flame the reason why im keeping a tiger snake is due to my location(tasmania) and the current laws on keeping australian snakes.

I was just wondering if many of you have kept these wonderful snakes and how they have went keeping them in captive? ive noticed they are a really relaxed snake who also dont mind being held for a brief period :) has anyone tamed theirs up?

Also did you encounter any problems when keeping them??

Here is a pic of my little fellow:

(and once again, yes i know they are a dangerous animal and they shouldnt be kept but unfortunatly i have no choice and i do truly love tiger snakes..)
why would you think that anyone would flame you for keeping tigers? :shock:...lol ...this site has many elapid keepers ..go into Australian snakes section and take alook for yourself ;)

where abouts in tasmania are you? i was on holiday there last year and i went to devils heaven in launceston and he keeps reptiles there including tiger snakes and her was very good to talk too his name is dick i think heir e-mail is [email protected] go see him if you can

I know a few people with tigers at both ends of the scale, mine is as placid as you could ask for, a mates are psyco, and want to kill anything that moves.

haha yeah im very lucky with my little guy, seems very placid atm ive held him quite a few times and he just cruises around haha...

reason why i thought id be flamed is because in the chat i did haha...and yeah i live in hobart in tassie :)

The reason some people flame Tasmanians apart from just being Tasmanians is because Tasmania has very different laws in reguards to keeping reptiles; ie, you can catch and keep, many newbie mainlanders don't know this and jump on their high horses and try to trample the poor Tasmanian who is only doing what he is allowed to do.....
Tigers are great, but as said, they can be sly buggers with their hunger response and unpredictability.

I have a dozen tasmanian tiger snakes in my posession now and still have a few babies that i bred this season. Of all the types of tiger snakes I have kept the Tasmanian's seem to be the most well behaved. They are a little easy to get complacent with but they are usually a pleasure too keep. They don't like heat much as someone else stated. Very cute specimen you have there, you should be very happy with it.

Talking about 'taming up' a Tiger snake, or any snake, whether venomous or not, is probably not the best mentality to go into it with!

No matter what, they are wild animals, and operate on instinct, so don't get complacent with them... The fact that you said they don't mind being 'held' for a while concerns me... All it takes is one bite and you won't be a happy camper!

Enjoy though... looks like a hice specimen! :)

Love tigers and yes they appear relaxed and easy going. Even when they bite you they do it in a relaxed easy going manner.

excuse my ignorance, but are the Tassie tiger snake usually such soft colours?? I guess i'm used to seeing the WA ones that are really dark black and vivid yellow...

Anyway I agree thats a good looking snake Razon

excuse my ignorance, but are the Tassie tiger snake usually such soft colours?? I guess i'm used to seeing the WA ones that are really dark black and vivid yellow...

Tasmania has GREAT tigers around if you goto the right areas...its a pity there is so much de-forestization down here slowly there habitat is being destroyed...

(forgot to add, whats the best way to go about helping this guy shed? he seems to be having problems getting his skin off because of scale damage bastard tried to escape lol. he's gone all dull and he is moving around as though he is ready to shed but seems to be having trouble getting it started...theres a bowl of water he goes in and out of but doesnt seem to be helping much)

Tasmanian Tigers vary tremendously, you get all sorts of different ones down there, very dark ones, very light ones, patternless, strongly banded, lots of different colours, every combination you can think of. I think they're generally darker in the south, but that's just what I've heard.

I love the WA ones too, I have a gorgeous pair of them :) Mine are black and vivid yellow, if I had the time and space I'd also love a pair of black and bright orange WA Tigers.

Tigers are brilliant snakes, one of my top six (I'm not quite sure where in that six!). They feed well and usually are very easy to handle as far as snakes of their size go. They are reasonably active and often quite curious. Along with my Water Pythons they're the most likely snakes I have to come up to the glass and check out what I'm doing when they see me or anyone else, even if they're not hungry (although they're usually pretty hungry). They actually remind me a lot of Water Pythons in behaviour.

you got pics sdaji?
i love tigers to bits! they are simple stunners i cant wait to get them when im old enough!!!!!

Who remembers what happened last time I posted pretty Tiger Snake pictures? :shock: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back