Car/bike crash stories

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep my mind off certain things, and took this idea from another forum I visit. I thought it might be interesting.

Here are a few of mine. I'll update later with a few moto stories.

A mate was helping me do an engine conversion on my falcon, he left to go home in his mums Rav 4. Decided to do a slide on a dirt road visible from my house, he was 90 degrees for ages, no idea how he held onto it. He came back to brag and I got in the front passenger seat of the car, stupidly egging him on to do it again. My GF jumped in the back seat for some reason.

The run up to the corner in question is bitumen, but the corner/road is dirt, we hit the dirt and it didn't kick out, so he clutch kicked it at 80 and reefed on the wheel. We were fishtailing uncontrollably and I knew we were going to crash. I just grabbed the HTFO bar and yelled "BANK" before it was too late. We hit an embankment and did a full roll in the air, plus another half roll before the drivers side hit the ground. We then rolled another couple of times hitting a tree. When the first airborne roll happened, we were less than a meter from a power pole, and where the car came to rest was on the edge of a 15ft drop into a creek. We were lucky the tree had a ridiculous amount of small branches everywhere that sort of caught the car.

As I said, we were doing an engine conversion, and all of his tools were in the back. A breaker bar that was a few ft long flew past my GF's head somehow, I have no idea how it didn't hit her, as she was in the middle of the backseat and didn't have a head rest to stop stuff hitting her. The rest of the tools were catapulted throughout the cabin, too. It was crazy. As the car rolled though, I wasn't scared. Everything happened in slow-mo and I anticipated every single roll.

^^^ That was the worst one.

Another time, I was in the front passenger seat of an EA wagon, a mate of mine was behind me in the back and the driver was sliding it through the forestry at between 60-80 without a drama for about an hour. On our way back he upped the anti, and took it to close to 100 and we were sliding all over the place. At one stage we went off the road and toward a herd of cattle. We would have just missed it by less than a foot, as the car only just responded to the drivers countersteering. Anyway we went around this wide bend on the wrong side of the road at about 100, the edge of the road was really soft and we went head on into a tree. We hit it at about 80-90 as we'd slowed down a bit, but it was pretty scary.

The owner of the car was freaking out about what his dad would say, so we came up with this plan to smear road kill all over the bonnet and say he'd hit a kangaroo, and stage a fake crash site as he wasn't supposed to be in the forestry. The car had no coolant and kept dieseling when it was turned off. We nursed that puppy for about 40 minutes worth of driving to stage a crash site elsewhere, and we threw car parts in the bush where the car supposedly went off the road. All was good until the owner caved a few weeks later.

I'll never forget that one.

One other time was with two mates of mine. I was in the front passenger seat, and the mate that was in the back of the EA wagon that hit the tree was in the back seat of this car, too (I guess we were jinxed). My mate that was driving is probably the only driver I'd trust with anything stupid. His skill on a bike and in a car is ridiculous, but sometimes everyone has moments where they reach into their pocket and run out of skill. We had been drifting in his EF falcon all day, I have no idea how he did it, but he could link corners in this thing at 80-100 and it was an auto.

Anyway, we went around one corner and the *** end clipped a road sign, ripping it out of the ground. We stopped and looked, but everyone started to come out of nearby houses to investigate the commotion. We took off, dragging the bumper down the road with us, leaving the street sign (still attached to it's concrete foundation) lying on the side of the road. I had a bit of a giggle about that one.

Disclaimer, haha
Please note - I was not driving any of these 3 vehicles, and I don't condone doing stupid stuff on the street. Looking back now, I realise I am lucky to be typing this. Hindsight is 20/20. Also note, where this stupid stuff was performed there were no bystanders and the street where we hit the road sign was deserted, it was checked out beforehand.

I was cruizing through the hills by myself in an 80 zone when the porsche in the other lane coming my way started to come into my lane but not just a bit, completely. It was quite a distance a away and then i saw the car move back into their lane. Then when they were about 20 meters in front of me still in their lane they swerved into my lane again this time i knew if i stayed in my lane i would have hit them so i swerved off the road straight into a big gum tree. they slid onto the dirt about 30m behind me, got out, saw me and my car, and drove off. i couldnt see their numberplate as my glasses hit the steering wheel along with my face so when i looked back towards their car i couldnt make out the plates. i had a car from the 80's so had no airbags. i did have my seatbelt on though but still hit my head just above my right eye and got 12 stitches and a written of 1989 325is BMW. I only had third party property insurance and the other car didnt stop so i didnt get any payments or anything out of it.

another incident i was involved in is when i was driving in a 50 zone and a koala ran across the road. The car in front of my slammed on the brakes and i was changing song on my stereo. i looked up and quickly veared off to the left lucky there was a side street right there which i turned into. the two cars behind me both hit the car that was in front of me that had stopped for the koala. the car in the middle got heaps squashed and the girl who was driving the middle car got concussed from the airbag cover hitting her. I was lucky to avoid that one.

Heading home... probably only about 800m from the front door. I was doing bout 60 clicks on the bike and a bloody pomeranian crossed the street. I swerved hard on the bike and hit the gutter sending me airborn (highside off the bike....)

This is what I was seeing....

*#$^% power pole %*#*# POWER POLE as i was flying in the air towards it.
You know that instance when time sorta slows down and things are in slow motion and you can't do anything about it.... I kicked off the bike and saw one of those little trees on the nature strip it was probably 4 to 5 inches on the trunk. I grabbed on to the tree and snapped it in half mean while i catch my bike on the corner of my eye slam into the power pole... I had bruised ribs and I dislocated shoulder as a result... plus a written off FZR250rr.

Sounds nasty, Red. Did the owners of the Pomeranian cover the cost of replacing your bike?

If people want, feel free to post car and bike crash videos here from YouTube or whatever. They're always good value. The Isle of Man crash videos are crazy.

Sounds nasty, Red. Did the owners of the Pomeranian cover the cost of replacing your bike?

If people want, feel free to post car and bike crash videos here from YouTube or whatever. They're always good value. The Isle of Man crash videos are crazy.

Nah mate... never found out who the owner was, they would'nt have wanted to own up to it anyway at the rate I was cursing. The bloody thing looked like it's been on the streets a while and I was in too much pain to follow it and see if it went 'home". Plus I had to stay by the crash site...

1)
First car, licence a week, driving through the Galston Gorge near Hornsby. Coming around one of the rounder corners only to be hit by a truck on my side of the road. That one was incredibly lucky. Had it have been a a split second earlier and my corolla would have gone straight under the truck taking the roof of my car off.... and who knows what else :/ Write off... hadn't even made the first repayment!

2)
2nd car bought three months later - Astra. Been driving it for another three months; left home one morning for work. Impatience and inexperience; I didn't bother waiting for the windscreen to clear, drove around the corner through a roundabout and coped the sun - couldn't see jack! Straight into the back of a parked pump out truck that was doing it's thing. The driver couldn't get very far off the road and had complained about the parking there to council numerous times, but they had never done anything. Another write off, and a vow never to own another white car bearing hubbys personalised plates ever again! To this day - I still haven't! That was 2004.

3) Company car (god knows why they gave me a drive car after my past efforts!), driving to work south-bound on the F3. IT was raining and there was an accident in the middle lane. I merged to the right lane and the traffic ahead had stopped anyways. I pulled up, but the guy in a ute behind me was too busy watching the accident and drove straight into me. End effect was a 7 car pile-up behind me! Cops took us all to the south bound weigh station to work out the chain of events. I was the only one that didn't get a fine as I was the only one that didn't hit something requiring towing. yay! One up for the red P plater!

Thankfully; touch wood.... I've been acco free since then!

I was going round a corner on my bike when I was hit from behind by a VW beetle, the bike slid out across traffic up a drive way and into an old blokes garage down the side of his house. As I slid passed he was watering his garden, quite surreal. My helmet was worn down and my leathers worn through. I jumped back on the bike and gave chase but lost him. When I stop I realised the bike was actually unrideable and I couldn't walk. No bones broken just lost skin and bruised. Police never found the driver.

I t boned a cop car just outa can river in 2010 going to moto gp luckily I survived got up had knee problems for a while but nothing the doctor couldn't fix.

Cheers Brenton

I tried to post this last night, but stupid computer was playing up

Not myself personally, but I went to cross the road at uni one afternoon, bike hit the centre pillar of a falcon crossing the road, rider was probably going 80-100 clicks and still accelerating, I dunno what he was thinking or how he managed to hit the car, he had a reasonable line of sight around a slight curve (anyone who knows the entrance to parklands showgrounds, bike was coming from Smith St, car was going straight from parklands into the uni)

to cut a long story short, he T-Boned this car less then a metre to our left from where we were stepping onto the road, bits of shrapnel and stuff flying everywhere, came incredibly close to getting showered with bits of farings and the likes, he ended up going over the car and landing on pretty damn hard, dunno the eventual extent of injuries.

As for my worst bike crashes, touch wood nothing yet, though I did almost take out our old shetland pony on a peewee 80 when I was maybe 8 :lol:

We used to ride our dirties along the old train tracks in Cranbourne, Vic. The whiney #@$% who used to live across the way hated it 'cause she could'nt hear the T.V, so she strung up some wire between the lights and the fences. My mate hit it at good speed, sent him into cartwheels, and when he finally stopped, his jacket was holding him together. Destroyed all his right arm, collarbone, ribs, both legs, and almost cut him in half diagonally. He spent nearly 12 mnths in hospital. He's pretty good now and we still ride, just not near tracks or houses anymore!

Not me, but local badge wearing Harley rider I know was paying more attention to the accident scene he was riding past then the road, and rode directly into a parked police BMW bike and wrote both of them off. Funnier again, 12 months later, the same bloke was cutting through some cordoned off road works as a short cut, and got busted by the cops..... Same cop whose bike he collected....no lies.

in the 9 years of motox ive had some awesome crashes,, never crashed a car... touch wood.. but i have been hit by a car while cycling..car was doing aprox 87kph...

10 years as a bike instructor/licence tester and seen many accidents and stupid people. How many people wonder why they get turned away from a licence test when they turn up wearing only shorts and thongs? A scooter rider failed test as ran straight into a fence as she could not steer. She pleaded with me to just give her a licence anyway as she only wanted to ride around the block. I told her I couldnt do that as she wouldnt get around the block as she couldnt turn a corner!

Is amazing how many bikes get kicked when a rider fails!!

The test in Victoria tries to simulate an emergency brake or swerve. This is where most people crash on test. I rather if someone is to crash, that it be at this stage rather than on the road. This is at 20-25kms without trucks, fences, trees, oncoming traffic, etc. Seen many an injury.

Do I ride? Oh yeah!! lol

when i was in primary school, dad was picking my sister and i up from after school care and we were literally about to turn into the drive
when some uninsured tool forgot to break and rear - ended us. dad had his push bike in the boot with front forks facing the back seat where my sister
was...it was wet, slippery and cold and the guy hit us so hard that my door jammed, the fork of the bike was verging on going through into my sister's
back and none of us could get out. when we got out through a window the cops took my sister and i into the house and the ambos checked my dad over

thank god no one was hurt.

I was racing recently and as i was making a pass through a whoop section a good friend of mine high sided infront of me (just missed him), got knocked out on a blind section after the whoops and got ran over by many bikes. As i came back around to the start and saw the red flag i knew something wasnt right. Next thing i heard was the helicopter was coming in to airlift him out as he was still unconscious and they where very worried. He didnt make it to the next day due to very bad head injuries. R.I.P Jesse.

Last edited:
I was racing recently and as i was making a pass through a whoop section a good friend of mine high sided infront of me (just missed him), got knocked out on a blind section after the whoops and got ran over by many bikes. As i came back around to the start and saw the red flag i knew something wasnt right. Next thing i heard was the helicopter was coming in to airlift him out as he was still unconscious and they where very worried. He didnt make it due the next day due to very bad head injuries. R.I.P Jesse.

That sucks mate. Reminds me of Jonno Porters crash at the mr motocross series. Really sad. What class do you race?

I have heaps of bike stack videos from youtube... probably too many to post all at once :D

Here's why you shouldn't lane split:
Motorcycle Crash - YouTube

Stack while not even moving:
Motorcycle Crash - YouTube

Head on:
Horrible motorcycle crash - YouTube

As a rider, I hate seeing stuff like this...(even though I watched it with a fair idea of the content, lol) First two caused by someone else, even though lane splitting in moving traffic is just...well...stupid.

It's good training though, watching these things, and working out what can be done to avoid it. There should also be periodical driver reaction tests to see who pays attention to what's going on around them.

Might even invest in a helmet or bike camera now, good for evidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back