centipede tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trench

Reaction score
IMG_1540.jpgIMG_1536.jpg
Here is a living centipede tank that I made, enjoy :)

hmmm looks ok mate.
one thing i would do is get more substrate in there (cocopeat) and fill it to about 10cm so it can burrow.
and spray it often if you have it ventilated with that much mesh, also make sure the mesh is completely escape proof, they can climb that log and plant and hang on that mesh upside down and squeeze through tiny gaps.
it might be a bit hard for them to find the crickets you feed them as they will go straight into the long grass.
looks good though and alot of effort, well done.
what species is it?

Thanks richoman :)
Not sure what type they are here are some pics
IMG_1589.jpgIMG_1587.jpgIMG_1588.jpg

they are ethmostigmus rubripes mate :)
aussies largest pede.
hmmm, not a good idea keeping them together, as they will most likely kill eachother, so just watch it. id seperate them if i was you, but, you can see how you go :)
good luck mate!, centipedes are awesome things, you will get hooked soon :p
did you find them?

apparantly 10+ years,
but its hard to know this, as not many people keep them, espicially from pedelings!

wow thats pretty cool, so what sort of cost is involved with them? any specialty items they need?
and they dont require a lic either ,do they?

wow thats pretty cool, so what sort of cost is involved with them? any specialty items they need?
and they dont require a lic either ,do they?

The pede themselves cost $10-$30 on average, they can be kept in ANYTHING escape proff, you can spend as little or as much as you like, from a takeaway container to a terrarium. They just need deep cocopeat and crickets every week and some stuff to hide under.
No license, you can even collect from the wild.

yep as snakeluvver said,
i house most of my smaller guys in deep takeaway containers - bout 60 of them :p, and the bigger ones in big tubs.
cocopeat and cocopeat/sand mix as sub.
one cricket a week - they dont always need it, and bark/rock or leaf to hide under, they are in burrows most of the time though, but some are surface active.
you can collect tall inverts from the wild (except in WA and NT, and national parks)
they are awesome things to keep and you will be hooked in no time, they varie so much and there is still lots of forms and species yet to be 'refound' in australia,
just watch out as they are VERY quick and have a painful bite!

Yeah the invert hobby is very small at the moment and sadly not much research is being done. For example, so far only 4 Tarantula species have been described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back