Central Netted help needed (dominance)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK. The situation is we have three Central Netted's - as of last Monday we have, according to the vet, 2 x males and 1 x female. Without reading on its plain obvious to see that there are potential problems already.

One of the males is the downright dominant one - arm waving, chases the other two, more so the female. He his not as bad with the other male but still exerts his dominance.

I guess we are thrown into a situation now as to which way to go so far as separation is concerned. The female is much smaller than the two males but is ok with one of them, just not the other.

We are considering either completely separating the dominant one i.e. relocate to another enclosure or to find a female of similar weight/size etc and put them together.

If it is a sexual thing than the female is not showing any interest, in fact quite the contrary. Besides she is too small IMHO to carry a clutch at her size and possibly age.

Just need some advice from the dragons experts as to the best possible scenario/solution for us going forward.

Does anyone on the forum have any female CND's they might be willing to sell. Ours is around 12 months old.

Many thanks all.

I personally would Separate them, Because all 3 are from the same clutch (and you do not want to be breeding siblings do you?)

If you wanted to keep them all together, I would say 2-3 females per Male,
You will need to provide more hiding spots, wheither be branches, caves etc,
However again, Saying that, if your male is showing to be dominant, But the Hand waiving and head bobbing is also a good sign for matting, as they will generally do this, and then chase the girl, where the girl will play hard to get.

As it saying the Girl is two small for Breeding, - keep in mind that the Girls are generally smaller then the males, all 3 of my girls are smaller then my males.

Is the Vet 100% sure of the Sexes? Was it a reptile vet you saw or just the Norm? How where they sexed? By sight? Probing? or But applying slight pressure to the tail near the Bottom(i cant think of the word), to see the hemi-penis buldge.

As by sight my larger male looks like a female, the head and Body shape all point to a fat girl, but in fact its a Male.

There is just some food for thought.

Ahhhhh Vicki to the rescue again!! So nice to see u. Thanks for your wonderful advice as always.

What's interesting is this afternoon it appears the female has changed tact. She has been doing a slow head bobbing and been very active whilst the dominant make has been more reserved and he is the one doing the arm waving.

I thought it was the opposite.......:oops:

I took my three to Warranwood Vet and were not probed but more through general obs and the hemi-penes test- applying slight pressure around the base of the tail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back