central netted, tail injury, what the heck!?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosequoll

Reaction score
I recently got a central netted, only just a week ago. He's all set up in a 30in tank, UV light heat, some driftwood, nice rocks to bask on, hide, everything he needs. I check on him every morning or afternoon, clean up any poos, etc.

I missed this morning's check (been sick) and checked him this evening before his lights went off, and I'm freaking out. There's a full centimeter of the end of his tail MISSING. He's active, moving quick, looks fine everywhere else, and I cannot find the piece of his tail anywhere (I'll do a better check tomorrow).

There are no loose crickets in the tank, I put a couple in the other day, he didn't eat right away, so i left them overnight (with a carrot in the corner to chew on so they didn't bother him). The next afternoon they were all gone, so I know it wasn't crickets.

All his toes are fine. The driftwood is a bit rough, but I'd have no idea if that could have caused this. It just looks like the end of his tail was just cleanly...snapped off. It's not bleeding, nothing.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!? I'm freaking out and feel a bit sick to my stomach. I've only had him a week, and I've been so careful getting him all set up and somehow this happened.
What should I check, what could be the culprit? He's in a closed off room, with a lid on the tank, and no loose animals in the room. :cry:

Also, should I clean out the tank and get him onto paper in the morning? I don't want to stress him too much and he loves burrowing down into the sand, but I want him to stay healthy.

Is it possible one of the rocks could have fell on his tail? Not talking about a big fall or anything, but thinking maybe if one shifted and trapped the end of his tail kinda thing.

Omg:shock: I hope it was a rock or something. I want a beardy or two but they seem so vicious toward there own and now what to themselves!

Is it possible one of the rocks could have fell on his tail? Not talking about a big fall or anything, but thinking maybe if one shifted and trapped the end of his tail kinda thing.

Khagan, I think you're right. The rocks aren't that heavy, but I think that's what happened. He probably darted around one, snagged the tip and just....yanked it off.

Ugh, kinda makes me sick thinking about it.

I'm going to redo the cage today, sink the rock right down to the bottom in the substrate. It's awful because it's a freak accident I think, so there's really nothing I can do to have prevented it.

It might be in his stomach. ;)

That's what I thought, but I just found it in the corner of the tank, next to a rock. Looks like he must have been scampering around and snagged it, and just...pulled. I'm moving the rocks more to the centre of the tank now, try to keep anything like that from happening again. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back