Ceramic heater too hot?? Burning roof.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile

Here's some I prepared earlier.....

bac25a4c.jpg
thanks for that red-ink how exactly have you secured it to the roof ? just screws or do you use some sort of glue as well thanks again thomas

thanks for that red-ink how exactly have you secured it to the roof ? just screws or do you use some sort of glue as well thanks again thomas

Same screws that hold the light cages and light fittings in hold the cement board in place, all the wiring is also behind the cement board. I just dug out a groove at the back and used tape to hold the wires in place. That way the wires are insulated as well, looks "clean" and mounts flush against the wood.

I use my ceramic heaters mounted directly onto 18mm MDF. Never had a drama with it. Seems to absorb the heat with no probs, and is near impossible to ignite (I've tried using an oxy torch and it is literally impossible to get going). I'd recommend the thicker MDF as another option.

hmmmmm

my electrical expert is a sparkie, and my plumbing expert is a licensed plumber, so not all retail people are fools :)

sad

when peeps get general

but some good advice other than some of the hmmmmmmm posts

I'll post some photo's later tonight.

I have 5ft white melamine enclosure.

A ceramic heat light, 200W on a pulse proportional thermostat and a UVB light.
Been on for around 1.5 years.

I noticed last night the there are stains on the roof, on closer inspection, they are burns.
On even closer expection (with my head in the tank) I noticed the power cable is also discolured and looking old and worn, I'll be fixing it on the weekend. Though it can only be temporary as the same thing will eventually happen.

The cable comes thru the back wall and runs along the roof, not thru the roof.
The light fitting is fitted directly on the roof.

Like I said, I'll take some photo's and post tonight... though it wont be till later.
I can't be the only one with this problem or that's had this problem...

do you really need 200w? most people only have 100-125w,as snowman says use better cable and insulation

I figured if I got the bigger one, it wouldn't need to work as hard, therefore last longer.

that's just ridiculous,it wont work easier just because it's bigger,it will pump out 200w,you are lucky it didn't burn your house down

All good

No that's handy to know.
Still hard to believe the air around it is getting so hot. I know the surface tmep would be very hot, but I couldn't see it being hot enough to slowly burn the melamine. I would of thought it would be far enough from the globe.

Ahhh well.
remember that melamine is only plastic not good for heat stress

Last edited:
31b205fe-476d-a1b6.jpg

this could be a great idea to sort the problem just cut a big enough hole and screw it in no more burning malamine ;)

i was just gunna buy a ready wired ser up and screw it to the top until simon at everything reptile recomended this (bloody legend)

cost me $55 and is well worth it imo

Sent from my iPhone

That's exactly that floating light fitting I was trying to explain to you. They are the best

I've had a look at Bunnings for the fibre cemet sheeting and the stuff I found that looked similar was called villaboard. Does anyone know if this is the same stuff?

Villa board is pretty good with withstanding heat. I used it to shield my timber frame in my bathroom when I had to solder pipe work. Could easily handle 20-30 second bursts with a butane torch. Didn't even really burn it.

That's exactly that floating light fitting I was trying to explain to you. They are the best

yeah the guy at everything reptilerecomended that and said just drill a hole big enough for the power plug to go through so it can vent the excess heat from that area

im setting up mine so it pushes te hot air out the top and draws in fresh air through the bottom vents

should work a treat

Sent from my iPhone

As a rule of thumb, you should only use a heat source of the MINIMUM wattage required to do the job. Building in a "safety margin" so the unit doesn't work so hard is asking for big trouble. If your thermostat fails (as they OFTEN do), a bigger than necessary heating unit will cause a very rapid elevation in temps, with dire consequences for your animals (first)... the enclosure (second)... your house (eventually, if you're not home)...

Radiant heat from these devices seems mild, but the buildup over time can be massive. I've seen tables burnt to charcoal from even 7w heat mats that were installed without the appropriate ventilation, Most particleboards have some sort of fire retardant qualities, but exposed to a constant high heat source, they will begin to smoulder and produce very toxic smoke. Once the particleboard or MDF has disintegrated above the fitting, it will drop from the top of the cage and who knows what it will heat next. But by then your animal/s will be very dead from smoke inhalation or heat stress.

Always remember that too much heat will kill your animals in minutes, but being too cool gives you weeks or months to sort things out.

Jamie

Villaboard or Hardiflex are probably the commonest fibrecement brands, and both are readily available and very cheap.

As a rule of thumb, you should only use a heat source of the MINIMUM wattage required to do the job. Building in a "safety margin" so the unit doesn't work so hard is asking for big trouble. If your thermostat fails (as they OFTEN do), a bigger than necessary heating unit will cause a very rapid elevation in temps, with dire consequences for your animals (first)... the enclosure (second)... your house (eventually, if you're not home)...

Radiant heat from these devices seems mild, but the buildup over time can be massive. I've seen tables burnt to charcoal from even 7w heat mats that were installed without the appropriate ventilation, Most particleboards have some sort of fire retardant qualities, but exposed to a constant high heat source, they will begin to smoulder and produce very toxic smoke. Once the particleboard or MDF has disintegrated above the fitting, it will drop from the top of the cage and who knows what it will heat next. But by then your animal/s will be very dead from smoke inhalation or heat stress.

Always remember that too much heat will kill your animals in minutes, but being too cool gives you weeks or months to sort things out.

Jamie

Villaboard or Hardiflex are probably the commonest fibrecement brands, and both are readily available and very cheap.

Mate without trying to be naughty & just kind, This is one of the smartest things i have seen you say.LOL. All in good taste & spot on.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back