Ceramic heater... what watts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruni

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As I posted in my 'Noob' intro thread... I am using a 2ft fishtank to make my first enclosure for a Childrens yearling. I am decorating three sides of the tank with background image and then adding a layer of thin styrofoam as an insulator for the tank as the front is the only display aspect for the wall unit. I am making up a hinged mesh top which will have an aquarium light at the back and I'll sit a ceramic heater on the front part with a reflector dome. Astro-turf for the substrate and some plants and a branch to give it some visual appeal. Plus the obvious... a rock under the heater as a basking area, water and hide.

So the question is I noticed that there are several wattage options listed at the herpshop.com.au and that it needs to be at least a 40W to work with the day/night thermostat. The tank is 350 highso I am wondering what strength heater I would need for this size enclosure?

I am guessing I wouldn't need a heat matt as well as the ceramic?

I just went back to the Her Shop and this was the listing...
cellpadding="7" width="100%" style="width: 100%"
|- align="center"
| colspan="2" style="width: 67%" | [SIZE=+3] Herp Shop Black Nite Ceramic Heat Emitters [/SIZE]
| width="31%" | Click here for a closer look
|- align="center"
| colspan="2" width="67%" |
Herp Shop Black Nite ceramic heat emitters enclose a reliable heat element in modern glossy ceramic material and are an ideal choice for light free heat for your herp:
  • The flat design radiates heat effectively without any light output.​
  • Suitable for diurnal and nocturnal species.​
  • They have a standard Edison Screw (ES) fitting.​
  • The dark colour and stylish shape looks good in all enclosure designs.​
  • Due to their low failure rate they are more economical than light globes.​
  • Available in 60, 100, 150 and 250 watt outputs (all for the same low price).​
  • Can be used with a thermostat.​
  • Can be used with most dimmers.​

|-

As I was a bit tired last night I didn't notice that there was nothing under 60W which I would guess should be adequate?

Last edited:
hey mate, i mostley use 60 watt ozwhite ceramics, make sure you have a cage around it tho!

i would recommend using a heat mat or cord INSTEAD of a ceramic, you will achieve a far better temp gradient in such a small enclosure that way.

you will also have less probs keeping a bit of humidity in there that way too,....(too dry = terrible sheds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back