cheap heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
hi all,
i was just wondering is the a cheaper way of heating the a heat mat or one of those $30 globes form the pet store( as i have just about to build a couple encloseures and was thinking). Like would a reflector globe do the job or a normal globe.

Thanks heaps
ashley

More info would be needed mate, tell us what sought of snake is going into the enclosures and how old the snake/s is/are?

hi
i am building 4 at (LxWxH) 600x500x500each for spotted pythons(hatchies)
and 2 at 1200x500x1200 for some sort of carpet python maby a costal hatchie. (not a diamond i know what i need for that and have getting that ready first as i am pretty sore im getting one at the end of the year or in the start of the next)
the other will be 100x600x120 and will house a green tree snake about 1-2 feet(im hope full getting from snakesnt. for $150 is that a good idea)

thanks for the help
ashley

those cage are a bit big for hatchies!!IMO

craig said:
those cage are a bit big for hatchies!!IMO

This subject comes up alot. I personally don't think itz a big issue as long as there are plenty of places for the baby to hide that are the right size. Hides on the roof are good, secure places for arboreal species.

am building 4 at (LxWxH) 600x500x500each
IMO, I would make them a min. 900 wide, easier to create a heat gradient.

Heat is heat. 50W of heat will cost you 0.05x the kWHr rate per hour to run no matter if it's a heat matt or light bulb.

IMO, those $30 globes from pet shops are a rip off. I have kept mine on ordinary globes from the supermarket for years and they are fine. However for my coastal I don't use reflectors as they create a basking area that is too warm, so I use the ordinary clear ones along with blues ones for night. The only problem is sometimes they blow quickly but I have found them to last quite a while. Just experiment with wattages untill you get the gradient right. Good luck with the new additions, Simon.

Simon, which ones do you mean blow quickly please?? Those purple night lights??? We had one blow in big frog terrarium within a week of installation, got it replaced, but that blew within a week again. Now just using ceramic heat thingo, no probs at all. What does the wattage have to do with it? Do we need a lower wattage purple globe please? Cheers Cheryl

Hey Cheryl, I am refering to the common blue Osram lights that are just painted with blue paint. I have never actually had them blow quickly on me and usually last a few months but as with all cheap globes, there is the possibility. As with wattages, I have no idea, what I meant when saying
Just experiment with wattages untill you get the gradient right.
was to experiement untill the temperatures are right.

Cheers, Simon

rodentrancher said:
Simon, which ones do you mean blow quickly please?? Those purple night lights??? We had one blow in big frog terrarium within a week of installation, got it replaced, but that blew within a week again. Now just using ceramic heat thingo, no probs at all. What does the wattage have to do with it? Do we need a lower wattage purple globe please? Cheers Cheryl

same thing happened to the purple globes i bought. They lasted a couple weeks max each. It's a pity, 'cos I really like them. Do u have a night light at all rr?

Ella said:
rodentrancher said:

same thing happened to the purple globes i bought. They lasted a couple weeks max each. It's a pity, 'cos I really like them. Do u have a night light at all rr?
Not at the moment Ella, we just leave the GTF's in the dark with the ceramic heat globe on. Used to look great withthe purple night light on hey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back