Cheaper thermostats in the UK.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

Seems like all electronic gear is cheaper in the UK. I bought a Sonos system for $200AU cheaper than I could here and that included postage. I just paid $100AU for two Habistat dimming thermostats which included postage. The catch with the thermostats is that I have to chop the plugs off and put new ones on. I can hear a few of you screaming "but you lose your warranty". To be honest I don't chase warranty replacements on things under $100. Plus I'm getting two for less than I can get one in Australia before I even facfor in Australian postage.

Just thought I'd mention it to those looking to save a dollar or two.

Great to know Snowman, know where my next lot of thermos are coming from. Why do you have to rewire the plugs? Couldn't you just use a UK/AUS adapter plug?

Adapter plugs are a pain in the ****. Cetnaj acouple bucks for a Aus plug Done deal its really not that hard.

Only annoyying bit is when the colour codes are different.

Yeah I'm a sparky. And yes you could use adaptor plugs. I just prefer not to as adaptor plugs can be a fire risk if they are a bit loose.

Yeah I'm a sparky. And yes you could use adaptor plugs. I just prefer not to as adaptor plugs can be a fire risk if they are a bit loose.

- - - Updated - - -

Google Amazon uk and eBay if you are keen.

Well not being a sparky i'm sure my wiring would be just as much as a fire risk hahahah

Nah changing plugs on appliances is a piece of cake and completly legal in all states except qld.

Think of it this way; electricity is like water-it goes in one side and comes out the other.I leave complex things (like re-wiring the house) to the experts but simple stuff I do it all

Last edited by a moderator:
I had someone in th uk send them to me cause amazon uk don't ship international. Still eBay you can get them from the uk with postage for about $80au which is $45 cheaper.

I had someone in th uk send them to me cause amazon uk don't ship international. Still eBay you can get them from the uk with postage for about $80au which is $45 cheaper.

How much did you get them for ?

Hmm....

I got two for £58 with free postage. But the place I got em from doesn't ship international. So got them sent to a friend in London who posted em to me.

I have a few brand new microclimate DL2ME thermostats that I had brought over,
I am a qualified electrician and can either replace just the plug ends or rewire it with new leads that have a piggy back plugs to save having so many power boards every where, can even put longer leads on them if it suits your needs.

Got a B2ME microclimate few weeks ago from UK also around $ 75 posted in the new black color aswell

could you do this with the herpstat 4 cos i love that system,

Isn't that the one that runs at 110v ? In which case, the short answer is "no".

As for the Habistats all I can say is Trent has done well, best price I could find was £40 for one.

Isn't that the one that runs at 110v ? In which case, the short answer is "no".

As for the Habistats all I can say is Trent has done well, best price I could find was £40 for one.
Just keep an eye on amazon uk. Some of the sellers have sales now and then. I'm kicking myself for not buying more now :( took about 4 weeks to get them too.
£40 is about $61 not a bad price compared to the $125 we pay here, but you can do better when there is a sale. Not sure if I got an end of financial year deal?
If I needed them quickly I'd still buy them from an Australian supplier.

- - - Updated - - -

could a power converter help or is it just too much stuff around with that
Way too much stuff around unless you are using a 110v heat source.

could a power converter help or is it just too much stuff around with that

if you really want it, try contacting spyder robotics and ask if they have a 230-240v option... from memory they used to do this for some of there stats.

Was about to do this with 2 Habistat dimming thermos with a couple of plug adapters but they recommended me not to due to the difference of power voltages or something.

Was about to do this with 2 Habistat dimming thermos with a couple of plug adapters but they recommended me not to due to the difference of power voltages or something.

UK is 220/240v just like us, so there is no problem there.

The Herpstat, as mentioned earlier, is 110v therefore not compatible. From their website:

Question: Can I use the Herpstat with 240V / 50hz electricity that is common in
other countries.

[SIZE=-1]Answer:
Spyder Robotics does not currently produce any thermostats that will work with 240V /
50hz. We did previously have a version of the Herpstat ND model built for that
voltage / frequency. However, some countries require certain electrical
certification for import that we do not have. Due to this the 240V/50hz ND was
discontinued. Its possible we will look into this in the future however we are
not commiting to that project at this point.

Dion Brewington

Owner, Spyder Robotics LLC

[SIZE=-1]The information in the article is the opinion of the author and is to be used at
your own risk. Spyder Robotics assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or use
of this information.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back