Cheapest Reptile? [at least 30cm]

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are after something that is easy to look after ,then get a bluey, anything that lives in your garden in it's natural inviroment won't cost you a lot in heating and food. half the fun with blueys is finding snails after it rains and watching them crunch the up ;-) you can get them for about $25-30 here, petlink, trading post ect.

heres an add on petlink

http://www.petlink.com.au/Classifieds/sale/1032452.html

Are there reptiles in VIC that don't require a license? In NSW you cannot keep any reptiles at all, without a license.

If you want something cheap, don't get anything at all.
Don't want for the sake of wanting. Research what you are considering and see which is the best suitable.

and also you know goldfish and fish in general in my opinion are the hardest animals to look after and keep thriving, i hate how they are given to children.

Are there reptiles in VIC that don't require a license? In NSW you cannot keep any reptiles at all, without a license.

You can keep bluetongues without a license, then there is a basic license which enables you to keep most reptiles, then a breeders license.

Blue tongues don not require licenses, but they need enclosures about 4ft long!! I want to spend lots on an enclosure, so it can suit my reptile for it's whole life, but I don't want to spend $600 on a brand new 4ft tank!!
Good idea though I will try and rely on my parents for my reptile costs, some of them that is!!:rolleyes:

Blue tongues don not require licenses, but they need enclosure about 4ft long!! I want to spend lots on an enclosure, so it can suit my reptile for it's whole life, but I don't want to spend $600 on a brand new 4ft tank!!
Good idea though I will try and rely on my parents for my reptile costs, some of them that is!!

Build one.. you can make 4x2x2 (which can house 2blueys or so) for $120-$200 if you go to bunnings/mitre 10 etc

Snakebuster - yeah I am sure you receive pocket money and monetry gifts for birthdays and Xmas so be patient and save. I don't know if you would get a ready made 4foot tank for $600 but like Dave said, get someone to help you build one. You will do it much less cost and still look just as good.

This enclosure cost me $100. A friend built it for me and only charged me for the materials. the hidebox and lights were extra but the melamine unit is 4x2x2 with sliding glass doors and 2 air vents in the back. Beautifully built cabinet and the branch came from my friend's property.
picture039.jpg

If you're short on money I don't suggest getting a bearded dragon at all, they can become expensive to feed considering how many tubs of crickets they go through a week. A blue tongue would probably be your best bet.

If you're short on money I don't suggest getting a bearded dragon at all, they can become expensive to feed considering how many tubs of crickets they go through a week. A blue tongue would probably be your best bet.

Tank setup is reasonably expensive as with 99% of herps, All my beardeds get crickets once a month, the three tubs cost me under twenty dollars, i put them in a container in with hiding spots, carots, gutload, specialized water crystals and potato.

Considering you would only have one bearded that should be enough to last your bearded just under a month assuming they get fed every second day give or take a little for cricket deaths etc

When they arn't eating crickets it's veggies and fruit which you would usually have on hand anyways just like bluetongues, shinglebacks.

It can be as inexpensive as you want it to be, but you should be generous with items like heat lamps, UV lights, cricket care, reptile cleaning agent, a calcium supplement and reptile pellet food (and all will last you a considerable amount of time) and the actual lizard it's self.

Get a second hand enclosure from the trading post or ebay, make sure it is big enough to house the dragon throughout it's whole life, and thoroughly clean it out with the reptile cleaning agent beforehand.

If you get a beardie hatchling they don't need much habitat wise, they can be kept on newspaper (i recommend spending money on good reptile substrate when they get older as their mess gets messier and DO NOT USE SAND) a few rocks and logs which can be found outside, soak them in the reptile cleaning agent, and put them in the oven, make sure the rocks and logs have no bark attached or hiding spots for spiders, spider eggs etc try and pick a nice clean cut rock/log.

Wow, I think I will build one, it's beautiful! My dads going to help me, he used to be a cabinet maker.

Cheers, mysnakesue!!

Yeah thats the way, here is one my dad made for my beardies over 14 years ago, apart from the perspex being a little scrached its pretty much in perfect condition. It has common tree snakes in it at the moment but has been used for atleast 10 differant species over the years.

You can also catch food for your beardies and breed your own food aswell, if you have the time to do this they are very cheap to look after. Just avoid insects that are likely to have come in contact with poison. Insects, spiders, small snails, earthworms etc. and when they get older they eat plants and veges too.

If you just go out and buy everthing they cost heaps to look after, if you have the time to do most stuff yourself they dont really cost much at all.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back