Check out our new Albino species!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They look really great, much cooler than i thought. I wonder whether the need for UV will damage their eyesight in the long term though? These guys have very long life expectancies so if the damage is cumalitive they may eventually go blind.

I've only ever kept turtles outdoors and was told that once they teach a certain age it is important to give them access to natural sunlight to maintain their health. Hopefully the extra measures AA are taking re additional calcium can counter this to some degree.

I was told that most albino Blueys kept outdoors will go blind by the age of four. At least with Blueys you don't necessarily need UV to keep them healthy.

[video=youtube_share;alXB0YrbKuM]http://youtu.be/alXB0YrbKuM[/video]

Stunning...coming down next week for another visit :) Also going to visit my albino darwin & sons diamond :) :)

They look really great, much cooler than i thought. I wonder whether the need for UV will damage their eyesight in the long term though? These guys have very long life expectancies so if the damage is cumalitive they may eventually go blind.

I've only ever kept turtles outdoors and was told that once they teach a certain age it is important to give them access to natural sunlight to maintain their health. Hopefully the extra measures AA are taking re additional calcium can counter this to some degree.

I was told that most albino Blueys kept outdoors will go blind by the age of four. At least with Blueys you don't necessarily need UV to keep them healthy.
I am not convinced their eyesight is much worse than a normal short neck as they know as soon as the food goes in and quickly hunt it down. They are not fussy at all and have eaten live crickets, Exo terra Turtle Pellets, live earthworms and any of the frozen or other foods we have offered them. If you approach them at the front of the tank they quickly move away. They are only a couple of years old so I suppose things may change, but so far they seem really strong. All turtles require very good care and housing when they are young and from this age onwards they are usually very easy to keep.

Let's hope you're right, they really do look fantastic. Keep us posted.

I know that in the US there are a few different red ear slider morphs that involve albinism of one kind or another. Not all of those go blind but some almost always do. Fingers crossed that these guys stay healthy for you.

theres a guy in S.A that bred some a few years back, may be one of his?

Yes it is, generally speaking. I'm sure he knows the genetics of albinos and was asking if it breeds true and is proven in these turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back