Children's python in hibernation?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffMar

Reaction score
I'm looking after my sons Children's Python for a few weeks. It is a female. She has gone into her hide. She's been there for a week now. She only ate 1 mouse about a week before going into her hide. I can look in and she raises her head, so I know she's still alive. Is she in hibernation?

I'm looking after my sons Children's Python for a few weeks. It is a female. She has gone into her hide. She's been there for a week now. She only ate 1 mouse about a week before going into her hide. I can look in and she raises her head, so I know she's still alive. Is she in hibernation?
This sounds like a perfectly normal snake to me, they don't generally do a whole lot - especially after eating as they take time to digest. How old is the snake? For an adult python having a meal a week ago is pretty recent, my adult python regularly goes a month or two between meals. As long as she's alert like you're describing and not showing any signs of illness or stress, I wouldn't worry at all - probably not hibernating as the weather is warming up, just chilling and resting as snakes do most of the time.

Back