Children's Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielM

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting a Children's Python in close to 2 weeks and I was just making sure I've got all my information correct :)
Okay, so as a "youngling" feed her a pinkie mouse every 5 days. The enclousre is an exo terra tank, with aspen shavings as a substrate with a 14w heat mat. There are plenty of hides and a water bowl. There is also a branch for to climb her although I've heard Children's Pythons are largely ground dwelling snakes. The enclosure isn't very big and I will upgrade it later, when I have enough money. So there are no pictures as I haven't set the enclosure up yet...
And also any handling tips would be appreciated, for example do I need a hook to pick her up?
Thank you, anything else you think would be helpful would be great :)

5 - 8 days between feeds is fine. Hooks are very good especially for beginners as they do not give off heat which snakes can feel so it keeps them alot calmer for the initial pickup. Try to avoid handeling a for upto a day after feeding as they are doing their best to digest the meal they had just consumed. Also when you first get her make sure to let her settle in for upto 2 weeks before trying to handle or "Tame". For the first week or so it is very common for your python to hide all day long because they've established that it is dark, secure & warm in there. They may come out at night as this is the usual thing so don't asusme theyve been sitting still for weeks on end when infact you just mite not of gotten a chance to see them as you would have been fast asleep in their more active hours.

Sounds like you've done plenty of research already! As Variety suggested, Children's are nocturnal; I usually see mine out and about at like 2am. If she doesn't eat well to begin with, try feeding at night and avoid buying snakes unless the breeder says they've been feeding consistently for a few weeks. Also, try not to handle her for 1-2 days after shedding as their skin can be a bit tender. Always make sure she has plenty of water as pythons love to drink and just lay in their water bowl. Sometimes they will lay in the water to help their skin shed easily, or just to cool off. For this reason a wide shallow dish can be better than a tall deep one. This is also more difficult for them to tip over and you can also put a rock in the bowl to help keep it stable. Also, childreni are arboreal, meaning they like to climb up rather than hang around on the ground, although mine seems to do equal amounts of both. Either way, your branches should be plenty. Just make sure they aren't taken from the garden or if they are, clean them thoroughly and put them in the oven for a while to kill any parasites that might be hiding in them. Pet shops usually sell bits of wood that are guaranteed to be clean and free from parasites. It's good that you're starting with a small enclosure as larger ones can make young childreni feel insecure and put them off their food. A good guide is to make sure the enclosure is about the length of the snake, from the furthest two corners. As they get larger you don't need to follow this rule so much as you should be getting the snake out for some 'exercise' at least once a week. Good luck, I think you'll like your new pet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back