childrens queistion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caradeller

Reaction score
have a 1 year old male..just got him...the lady i got him from said..hes not eating alot..
so i put a pinkie in his tank..didnt seem to interesed..wat do i do...
do i leave it in there..if so how long.
do i take it out
do i show him???
she didnt evan have a light for him..would this explan y hes not eating??
since ive but him in my setup...with light he has been very lively and moving around...

was the mouse frozen? ask the lady you purchased it of if it was eating frozen mice.

Could be a whole host of reasons that he's not eating. First thing is to check that you have a good cage temp of around 32 degrees. If you can manage it get a hot and cold end going, cold end 26 and hot around 32. if you can't an overall temp of 32 should be ok.

Don't leave the pinky in for any longer than a day.

Bump it up a bit leave him alone for about a fortnight and try again. It is possible you just got a bad feeder and he will stay this way but this should give you the best op at getting him going.

And make sure he has a nice tight fitting hide.

he has to hide..one a log with like plants coming out the other a skull...i did cover all night..i will take food out in couple of hours and try again..i tried as the lady said she didnt know last time he ate..she wasnt very good keeper...no lights daek crappy tank..no water,,ill put some pics up of wat ive got him in so u guys can give some advice to tell me if im doing anything wrong

childrens are usually very gentle feeders when they are young instead of just putting the warm pinkie in you should be inticing him by slowly rocking it(mouse) to get his attention or even annoying the face of the snke, please tell me you are using tweezers or something and not just putting the mouse inside and hopeing for the best. ask the lady to show you how to feed it and if she cant get it to feed then you really dont want that snake, you as a new snake owner need something that is feeding easily so you dont loose it down the track from bad practices.
and the light................. means nothing.

i asked her..she said she gets puts it in there...ok thanks for that info...will go buy some tdday and try with them....aslo just went and bought a book so dont have to ask so many dumb questions...

No questions are dumb if you dont know the answer cara...should always find someone that will help here.
Buying a first snake not eating should give you a terribly steep learning curve tho.
Give him time to settle in before leaving feed with him...many wont feed as soon as theyve been moved to new housing, and definately use tweezers, not only can you move it around to entice a little but you really dont want it associating your fingers with food when he does eventually eat...and good luck

The snake could also be stressed because it's been moved from a dark tank (which childrens should prefer, being nocturnal) into a brightly lit one. You could try turning off the light, waiting a week or so, then try feeding him then.

Also, don't keep trying to feed him in a short space of time. Your prescence alone could be stressing him. Wait a few days between trying to feed.

she was feeding thawed ones...i breed my own so mine was fresh..thank temo is 29...cold side is 17

Try adding more heat 32/34 and around 25C on the cool side.Make sure the temps stay up like that 24/7......Also what pinkies are you talking about,mice or rats? .Try offering a small fully furred mouse a week or so after you have raised the all over temps,do this in the night. No handling until a decent feeding pattern has been developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back