Chinese New Year 2013 - Year of the Snake!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Konjira

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many asians we have within the community, but I thought it would be good to let everyone know the significance of February 10 - namely, the first day of the Chinese New Year!

I have never really celebrated it myself (I'm not much for astrology, but I like fortune cookies) but this year is extra special to me because we are leaving the year of the Dragon, and moving into the Year of the Snake! This year is also a Yin year of Water - Chinese astrology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - so I guess good fortune may come to any female water snakes born within the new year, haha!

For us humans, chinese astrology encourages us to be instinctive this year, but to also ride with any problems that may come our way and flow with it (Of course, this is good advice for any person in any year of their life.) In chinese culture, snakes are considered to be symbols of intelligence (oh, the irony), decisiveness, intuition, and sensuality. Children born in year of the snake are said to inherit these qualities, but they can also be judgemental, irritable (I know a few of your have snappy snakes at home!) or lazy. Keeping a piece of snakeskin in your wallet is said to protect your money (I'm pretty sure that's a Japanese superstition though).

I will be having a few friends over to come hang out with my snakes (Snake Partaaaay!). Not many of them have responded positively to my invitations to see my jungles before, but I think telling them it will bring them good fortune for the rest of the year may convince one or two of them XD

For anyone turning 24 this year (after January, anyway), Happy Birth Year! Give your snake an extra rat on Chinese New Year. I'm sure some Chinese deity somewhere will thank you for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back