Choosing a Lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered getting a pair? It's much more interesting watching them interact and it's more likely that at least 1 of them will be out and about at any one time!

Yes, that's logical.

I suppose we haven't put a huge amount of thought into getting more than one... Basically, we want to avoid any trouble of fighting and don't intend to breed them.

If we got male-male would they fight? Male-female would they end up breeding? Female-female not sure... would they fight? Is a solitary lizard going to be at a detriment on its own?

I use a 6 foot glass tank for a pair of ackies. It is against a wall but I think they would be fine seen from all side with a long central hide area. A sand bed they can burrow into (you could also put some pipes in as tunnels) will allow for a little humidity but take off the glass lids so you have better ventilation. I could also see a glass lid ending up smashed.
They are strong and persistent explorers. If they can push up, rip or squeeze through a lid they will. You may be able to modify the tank hood by taking the top off and replacing with framed snake/mouse wire which can then be locked in place.
I started from scratch for the lid frame with this one but on a water skink set up I have removed a lid on an aquarium hood and replaced it with framed wire.

Attachments

• enclosure-f.jpg
    enclosure-f.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 50
Thanks, book -- extra info is always helpful :)

The glass lids versus mesh lids seems to be a more difficult topic than we originally thought. At first, we were just going to replace the glass with mesh, then we read around and weren't sure what to do.

We'll have to look into making a more secure lid for the tank.

What's your opinion, book, on a single versus a pair of lizards?

Thanks, book -- extra info is always helpful :)

The glass lids versus mesh lids seems to be a more difficult topic than we originally thought. At first, we were just going to replace the glass with mesh, then we read around and weren't sure what to do.

We'll have to look into making a more secure lid for the tank.

What's your opinion, book, on a single versus a pair of lizards?
If you are not interested in breeding just get the one animal. They are often kept in pairs but they don't require the company. Last season I found my male to be a bit too keen on mating and harassed the female constantly. I have kept them in separate enclosures for almost a year now and I will only pair them up for mating from now on.

Hehe, thanks, book.

We discussed it here and decided that just the one is best for our situation, so it's nice to have some confirmation from you as well :)

We're currently in the process of designing a new lid for the tank and have started to decorate the tank -- starting to look like a home, with sand and some rocks and logs ;)

As you set up the new home, be careful with the placement of rocks or other heavy objects. Build up from the base of the tank rather than on top of the sand and make sure stacks are secure. If the monitor can dig under or pry up the edge of a rock it risks being crushed when the sand collapses or a rock slips.

Now that wouldn't be fun, book.

Having been a marine aquarium previously, we do know to keep things nice and stable, but it's always good to keep on your toes -- I'll have to go double-check everything now that you've mentioned it :)

I've just spent the majority of the day researching lighting for the tank. Boy, there's a lot to know, all sorts of different types of globes and wattages.

So, I decided to start a new thread, as it will be getting a little off-topic, but I was hoping to get some advice for lighting and heating:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-lizards-5383/lighting-heating-193031/#post2249441

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back