Clear contact..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfias

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have been thinking of putting plastic under my substrate just for abit of extra protection to the wood even though it's lacquered, but then I thought what about clear contact like the stuff you would use on text books, anyone know of any health risks to the snake ??

i was looking at using lino, but i found some plastic table cloth stuff at my local $2 shop on the weekend, (which i'll be going back to actually purchase this weekend) its about $10 per metre, i think the roll is about 150ish wide.

im planning on newspaper as the bottom layer to absorb anything that doesnt get caught by the ozpet litter, then plastic tablecloth stuff, then ozpet.

atm i have just newspaper under the ozpet, but its a pain for poopy scooping,...

oh, dont know about the contact, but people say not to use sticky tape in snake enclosures, so im guessing if a corner lifts it mightnt be a good thing.

I'm sure it would be fine if you can guarantee that the animal cant become stuck in it, that could be disastrous. That stuff is worse then tape

I was actually going to use the table cloth thing chris coz I bought a couple for my daughters christening couple weeks ago that's where I got the idea for the plastic, the snake will def not get stuck as I will have atleast 3 inches of kritters crumble (coconut husk) on top, was just worried about fumes etc but I will air it out for atleast a week as I am still waiting on glass :-/

yeah, should be right thru 3 inches of substrate!!

any reason you decided against the tablecloth? (just wondering if theres something i havent thought of,....)

havent tried kritters crumble, how does that go with such a thick layer of substrate?

i found with the ozpet stuff (which is absolutely wonderful!!) that more than an inch dosent work to well since all the moisture goes to the bottom and the bits that need scooping arent visible till you start digging,....

Well only for the fact that it wouldn't be secure, just a personal preference I guess, as for the substrate I do agree that moisture would end up at the bottom so again why I wanted to go with the plastic underneath, I change my substrate pretty regularly aswell to try avoid contaminants etc.. I found a guy locally who imports the stuff and is nearly half price to the shop I was gettin it from and still the exact same product :)

oh cool, im fine with the not being secure part,..! :p

gotta be happy with half priced substrates, they can get a bit pricey when u get lots of critters! :)

Apply the vinyl in direct sunlight (otherwise if inside use a heat gun) to heat the contact vinyl. It will allow the vinyl to loosen and it will settle into the imperfections on the wood surface. This will increase the holding quality and be less likely to let go later on.

nooooo dont use sticky tape, flash tack, contact, masking tape, electrical tape or any adhesive like this, the risk outweighs the benefits by heeeeeaps
go to the local carpet shop and get some lino or kitchen floor mats(you can get custom ones at clarck rubber)
either weigh it down with rocks or staple it and wipe clean

Nato

My brother used contact vinyl in his enclosure, however a notable differnce that you cannot do with an existing enclosure, is that when we constructed it, the vinyl was clamped between the adjoining panels and screwed thru. This way it was impossible for the vinyl glue to be exposed to the snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back