COASTAL CARPETS AND CHANGES TO LICENCING RULES - ACT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:D

Hello all,

i am new to the reptile world and i would love some advice on the temperament of the coastal carpet pythons. i've heard that they are snappy as juveniles but settle down with proper handling, and then from other sources i've heard that they are not good pets as they are notoriously aggressive.

I would also like to know if anyone has done the reptile care course offered by the Zoo in conjunction with CIT?? I was speaking to shelley from the zoo and she was saying that apparently the "rule makers" have realised that it's perhaps a bit silly in some cases to make it compulsary to have owned a blue-tongue or bearded dragon or turtle ("category A") etc for 2 years before applying for the licence required to legally own a snake ("category B"), as many people would only obtain these category A animals as a stepping stone to their goal of a pet snake.

With this in mind the "rule makers" decided that provided the applicant could demonstrate the knowledge and experience required to own a "category B" animal, the licence would be considered regardless of whether a "category A" animal has been owned.

Shelley said that out of the people she has seen go through this short yet very comprehensive course, no-one as yet has had a problem obtaining the desired licence.

i'd appreciate any knowledge anyone can offer regarding this topic!!

thankyou!
Peace out

:p

Cant be NSW because you can own a snake on your first license.

Arh, just read your other post, you are in The ACT. I thought you didnt need a license for bluey's etc.

Category A
CATEGORY A refers to captive-bred reptiles that can be kept by individuals with no prior experience in keeping such animals. These include exempt species and species considered relatively easy to maintain, regularly bred in captivity and suited to the Canberra climate. Exempt species do not require a licence to keep under the Act and are identified below with the symbol (E).

Category B
CATEGORY B includes species of captive-bred reptiles which may be held for hobby purposes by experienced amateurs with at least two years experiences in keeping one or more species from a family in CATEGORY A. Generally applicants for species on this list must be 15 years of age or over.

these are direct from http://www.environment.act.gov.au/petsandlocalwildlife/keepingsnakes.html - so yeah, you're right about the blueys!!

Can't help you with ACT licensing questions but as for Coastal Carpets? They are beautiful snakes and if you get 'em young and handle 'em properly and regularly they are placid as a kitten! They are a great snake to own and there are adults available too that are very placid. Can't recommend the good old Coastal enough! Great snakes :)

i have heard people saying "Dont buy a coastal as a first snake because they get to big" what a load of dribble.. if you get them as a juvie by time they get to a large size you should have enough info to keep it healthy.... i say go for it just remember they bite alot when young and start to calm down at around 1 year of age.
Can't recommend the good old Coastal enough! Great snakes
i agree i would trust them as adults more than i would trust most dogs!

as adults more than i would trust most dogs!

For Real??

That's awesome!! i'm getting so excited about it!!! Yay!!!

i have 5 snakes atm, but our first was a 7 month old coastal, he is now 16 months old and i couldnt of asked for a better snake, he is easy to handle has only ever bitten once, and that was my own stupid fault for handling his food and then handling him without washing my hands. other than that he has never shown any aggrestion towards anyone, and its because of him i have been able to change alot of ppls perceptions and attitudes towards snakes.
You go get urself that coastal :) you wont regret it :)

I have two coastal carpets which are 9 & 11 months old. Both had been handled fairly regularly when we purchased them and in the 5 months we have had them, 1 has bitten once and that was on the first day.
Mine are both very gentle snakes, but oviously you can get bad ones, but with time and effort should settle down.

I have a 10 month old coastal. At first it was very snappy and as a result my 4 year old daughter called him 'Snappy', but now he has settled down and only occasionally strikes out. He is becoming more and more mellow by the week. He is a great snake with lots of personality and has changed colours dramatically since I purchased him.

I Have two Coastals. Now nearly a year old, I have had them sincer they were abot 5 months old. I have only been bitten once, by one of my snakes. That was because I accidntly scared it (Snuck up on it). I have never had snakes previously and have found my snakes to be really easy to handle, feed and maintain. Using this site to gain information and for advise I dont think you can go wrong with a Coastal or Two if when they grow larger you have the space for a large enclosure.

Meg you can see from the posts that whoever told you that coastals are a bad choice, is wrong. I have 3 atm a hatchie (never bitten), a yealing (never bitten) and i just recently got a huge adult female that hadn't been handled much and was a real cranky bitch (maybe a female thing, lol) but already has quieten right down and alas has struck once when i first got her, she was in the enclosure but never connected (thank god)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back