Compatible lizard for outdoor turtle enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angophora

Reaction score
I have 3 eastern long necked turtles in a lovely outdoor enclosure with plenty of space. I was hoping to add a couple of lizards to the collection but am worried about compatibility. I was looking at getting maybe 2 Eastern Bearded Dragons, or Water Dragons. I was initially thinking Blue Tongues but I read that they can easily drown in ponds. Will the turtles and lizards live happily together?

yer ive been wondering the same but some people told me that as long as there around the same size and just put something like a log in the pond so if the bluey falls in he can cling to something

Not anything recent. I'll have to take a few and post them soon. It is only about 4 months old so the plants are still growing, but it really is screaming out for some more scaley friends!

i keep blueys with my eastern long necks, i glued some flyscreen to the inside rim of one side of the pond because its a plastic one.. havent had any trouble with drownings. I assume anything the same size or bigger will not be a problem, just keep an eye out for territorial behaviour with the dragons.

Thanks ambah. The fly screen is a good idea. My pond is also plastic and I have a few ramps for the turtles to get out at one end, but was worried if the bluey fell in the other end... I guess I can try the fly screen thing there. Thanks for the tip. I was worried dragons may be a bit territorial and I didn't want to upset my boys! A nice lazy bluey would be better I think.

Last edited:
i think water dragons would be great in there providing there is enough room.

i kept eastern and gipy waterdragons,blotched and eastern blueys and cunninghams in my pitts with eastern longnecks,they all were fine together,just be careful with blueys in ponds,especially plastic ones,as they panic when they fall in,if u only have the odd escape ramp they may not find it and drown trying to get out at the other end

Richardsc you have quite a collection in together! I have heard that too many species together won't work but I guess you have proved that theory wrong! What is the temprement of your water dragons? I know they can be a bit snappy, can you handle yours ok? I don't handle my turtles much but they are quite comfortable with me hanging around. I just don't want to be chased out by a new edition.

water dragons are great outdoors depends where u live. but they are very hardy! I keep 3 adults and got 10 babies on the way any day! (not with turtles but I know people who do & they are fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back