Connecting heat sources to thermostat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am clueless with technology and anything electrical so I have no idea,

i am hoping to expand my collection and will be getting a few enclosures which obviously need heating.
So I plan on getting 2 three foot enclosures which will be heated by a single heat cord (shared between the 2 enclosures), a rack with a number of tubs heated by 1 or 2 big heatcords (9m probably) depending on how many tubs I use.
and another 4m heatcord which is in use with a cheap thermostat on my MD. oh and I hope to install a habistat radiator in the MD adult enclosure.

im wondering whether I can connect all the heat cords (and possible the radiator assume it needs the same temps) to a powerboat then plug that into a habistat pulse proportional thermostat rather than multiple separate thermostats.

Just want to know whether it will work well?
cheers guys!

Hi Bananapeel,

Whilst I am a noob with snakes, I am an electrical fitter and from what you have described, the temp will only be correct at the location of your thermostat probe - If one enclosure is a little warmer or cooler than the one where the thermostat is located your thermostat will not know it. The temp will only be correct in the enclosure that the thermostat is located it.

It might work ok and the temp diffs between the enclosures may be close enough that it won't matter.....but if it were me I would probably be putting a thermostat in each enclosure so they regulate independently.

Others may have better advice from experience tho.....

Cheers,
Bart

Cheers Bart. Yeah that never occurred to me actually.
well I'll see if anyone else has a different idea or something. Appreciate the help.

As long as all the heat cords are of the same wattage they will provide the same heat level in each enclosure if controled by 1 good thermostat.
We run up to 15 enclosures on a single thermostat and there wouldnt be half a degree difference between them all!

Thanks stimigex. I could easily use a few 6m cords or 9m cords depending on what I need. Sounds ok seeing as you have done it no probs. may I ask where you have the probe?

I heat all my enclosures/tubs with heat cords, except for a few and none of the cords are connected to thermostats. My opinion is that since the heat is very localised, they can easily escape it. The only time this changes is when it's ridiculously hot when all the heating is turned off any way.

In saying this, I heated the single heat mat I've ever used with a thermostat because it was overly hot when I touched it (none of the heat cords are like this). Before it blew up, at least :p

The other few enclosures I have are heated with lights, and these are connected to thermostats.

Yeah I would rather use a thermostat especially considering I will probably be using
3 x 9m 80w heatcords to heat 2 enclosures, a rack for hatchies and geckos and another bigger carpet python enclosure which will need 2 basking spots (one high one low) 4.5 m per basking spot, 4.5 per enclosure and 9m for all the tubs.
so could I connect 3 9m 80w cords to a habistat pulse proportional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back