Converting to frozen thawed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jungle_inc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has had much success converting an adult carpet from fresh killed mice to frozen thawed mice. I have tried almost everything. I have tried following a frozen one after a fresh one, only to have the carpet regurge. I have tried tying a thawed one behind a fresh one, it gets down to the thawed one and regurges. I have tried coating a thawed one with fresh mouse blood, it just doesnt take. Am i gonna have to feed it live forever do you think? Or is there anything else i can try. Already tried chicks and rats with no success. This hobby of ours is truely stressful at times!lol

cheers

Mark

By regurgitating to you mean completely swallowing then bringing it back up or simply spitting it out.
If it is completely regurgitating it sounds like a bit of a worry.
Are the defrosted rats warm when you offer them?
Also, I assume you are talking about a jungle?

Hi Greebo, i meant he spits it out. Yep its a jungle, how did you guess, lol. I have got 2 that dont eat frozen, one of them eats thawed rats straight after a fresh mouse, the other is just a pain in the ass!

And yep i have tried warming the mice right up, tried wet ones and even went as far as to blow drying the mice incase he didnt like it wet.The things we do!

I've had some success with diamonds & coastals. One diamond sounds like your jungle & was a real pain in the bum. I found that it had something to do with where I bought my frozen mice/rats from. I believe that some rodent breeders throw all the little buggers in a bag & then gas 'em. They then leave them there to piss all over each other. Other guys spread them out on trays to dry them out before freezing them. The second type is what you want.
Also i just kept offering frozen but not everyday. When the snakes were real hungry they evetually just struck thinking it was live food dangling on the tongs. From then on things usuallly go fine.
Just a couple of ideas anyway.
Cheers Budgie

what about trying a thawed rat as opposed to mice?

Hi zoe,got your pm.How do i pm you back.You might just be in luck

This worked for me when I was getting a mates Olive to eat thawed..I put the snake in a warm tub with paper towel substrate put it in a dark, quiet room with a towel of the cage and put in a nice warm mouse, left it over night, and in the morning there was no mousey

Thanks for the help guys, but have tried everything you have said. I have lost a few hairs already cos of this jungle.At least it feeds!

Jono, i am in Adelaide.

cheers

Mark

nahrung034.thumb.gif
"Hic, indeed he could africa old boy"
10_7_6.thumb.gif
lol

Have you tried putting a live mouse in with the snake. I find the snake usually smells the mouse before it spots it. Once the snake starts showing some interest, dangle a de-frosted one in front of the snake.If it shows any interest in the dead mouse, pull it away as if it was a live mouse running away.Then offer it again, sometimes they will strike straight away the second time.
It can wear your patience thin at times , I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back