Cool Green Geckos?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a point of view from an American... LOL

Knob tails = Cool looking but BORING... Kepts tons of Levis and hardly seen them...

Aussie pythons, = AWSOME!!!

Aussie varanids = SOME OF THE BEST IN THE WORD aside from White throats...

Here in the States, we are able to keep many Aussie reptiles... There is a lot available here...

I think it is a shame you all can not keep exotics...

I really love our native reptiles especially our pit vipers but I love exotics as well... Variety is the spice of life... I keep both native and exotic reptiles and find them to all be beautiful in their own way....

Are there any common green geckos in the overseas reptile market? Where would they come from? I wish we had some cool species like this in Australia even though we are not allowed. I would love to live in America and have Leopard Geckos.
There is nothing wrong with learning about or liking what is found overseas. Just so long as it isn’t done to the neglect or detriment of knowing about what is in your own backyard first.

The genus is Phelsuma, not all of which are green but they are all diurnal quite a large genus with numerous subspecies. Most originate from Madagascar but there are a few that occur naturally on some of the other islands in the Indian Ocean, such as Mauritius. The photo is probably of the Giant Madagascar Day Gecko (Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis).
I have seen wild day geckoes on Mauritius and the colours are so intense they almost don’t look real. My personal favourite is the Blue-tailed Day Gecko (Phelsuma cepediana).
New Zealand also has a genus of green diurnal geckoes Naultinus. Not as spectacular in colour but fascinating none the less.

World’s most popular reptile pet = Bearded Dragon from Australia!
World’s most popular amphibian pet = Green (White’s) Tree Frog from Australia!

Blue

Yeah, my levis hides away all day. He hasnt eaten or come out for a week, but i see him in his burrow against the glass so he's ok.

Ewww those tokays and giant geckos are really creepy looking. Our Nephrurus geckos are way cooler.

Envy of Victoria...

Haha agreed!
Wow those green ones look amazing, and I really do love the look of the Leopard Geckoes. But yeah, I was going to say a lot of other countries would think the same about our geckoes, the grass is always "greener" I guess! Pun intended.

As much as I like Australian gecko's, the NZ green gecko's are my favourites. … They are one exotic that if offered to me illegally or otherwise, I would not be able to help myself and thats exactly what I would tell the judge while pleading for mercy.

Don’t be bloody daft mate!
You’d have to keep them in the back fridge up there!!!

Blue

i got my very first pet gex yesterday,was told he was a common marbled sa gecko.don't care how common they are...Baxter is one in a million.he is sooo tiny about 6cms long.would like to know if i could keep a different species of gex with baxter?just one like a playmate and for company?and excuse the noobie ?,but do they enjoy vegies?like beardies.

i got my very first pet gex yesterday,was told he was a common marbled sa gecko.don't care how common they are...Baxter is one in a million.he is sooo tiny about 6cms long.would like to know if i could keep a different species of gex with baxter?just one like a playmate and for company?and excuse the noobie ?,but do they enjoy vegies?like beardies.
Just insects, and I wouldn't mix any species really... 'cept for when I mixed Spotted Marsh Frogs, Brown Tree Frogs and two Weasel Skinks.

only a few mentioned New Zealand Green geckos! shame on you. NZ green geckos are far more green then day geckos, much much much cooler! my relos in NZ live near a place with common green geckos and they are spectacular!
this is not my picture but NZ green geckos are by far one of if not the most amazing genus of geckos:

New Zealand Green Gecko Elegan Elegan by churchmousenz, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back