Cool looking rat!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looks like snake food inbreeding to me. Need to separate babies from dad before they reproduce, I wonder if they taste different.

Just looks like snake food inbreeding to me. Need to separate babies from dad before they reproduce, I wonder if they taste different.

what? i dont understand what you are getting at....

How else do you get weird mutations other than line breeding or inbreeding as its commonly known

Yeah I understand that, I just don't understand the point you are trying to make? You obviously think all morphs/mutations are bad then? We may be going off topic here but I don't understand the point of a one line negative comment with no real explanation....

He looks like he has got hair style tips from Donald Trump. :)

Will be funny if that bit of hair grows really long. Will update photos as things change.

Inbreeding in rats is not a problem and lots of breeders use it to strengthen their lines.

Inbreeding in rats is not a problem and lots of breeders use it to strengthen their lines.

I use to breed a mass scale of rats, and inbreeding does become a problem after a while. Roughly 3rd generation of inbreeding is where problems started for my rats. Some got so bad, they were born without limbs, deformed bodies and the worst I experienced, was rats being born with gaping big holes through their bodies (most common areas for holes were in their stomachs and the side of their heads).

In no way did inbreeding strengthen the lines I had.
I had to keep records of family lines to avoid inbreeding.

inbreeding isnt a problem if you have strong animals to start with, if there are any nasty traits in the line that you are inbreeding those traits will generally show up quickly - i think i read somewhere a while ago that some lab strains have been closed for something like 60 years! I think its either 19 or 20 generations of brother x sister they are considered to be genetically identical.

I was under the impression all of our rats are basically inbread anyway? They were all related to the original 'taming' of the wild brown rats in the 1800's?

I was merely expressing an opinion or am I not allowed an opinion on whether a rat looks weird or not. I reckon a rat with a gaping hole in it would look good to if that's what your into, at some point someone has to step in and say we have stuffed with genetics enough just let nature take its course and stop the freak show. Six fingered humans might look cool but its so hard to get gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back