'Crazy' like a pet fox

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
I'll have a sexed pair thanks, gloves in winter come handy down here.

they not as good looking as our red fox.

regardless, stupid idea.

Silly foxes are a pest and need be killed on site!

As much as there a pest the are still nice looking animals.

Cheers Brenton

I'll have a sexed pair thanks, gloves in winter come handy down here.

haha they'd look awesome as a coat too, lovely silvery sheen

but on a side note, how ridiculous do they want to get, why not allow us to import more cane toads and start breeding those up too?

the independence of a cat? look at what most people let their cats do of a night time, as pets they'd be wandering the streets fending for themselves most nights anyway, so many people can't be trusted with their kids let alone pets, what is this country coming to?

Last edited:
Yay, just what we need - more foxes killing our native animals, and roaming the streets independently like cats do? Just another poor creature for people to blast and harm because they of what they do. Its not the foxes fault but they will be the ones to pay the price for a big mistake that could have been prevented.

Animals are not pests we are they where here much longer than we are how could anyone talk about making mittens or coats from such a bueatiful looking animal

There introduced pest.. bringing more in Will undermine The Hard work that Hunters are doing to exterminate Foxes... In vic they are now paying you to shoot foxes..

I saw a documentary on this species not too long ago. When they originally brought them into captivity they were vicious, but with selective breeding they ended up with friendly individuals that act similar to a dog. They kept a control group to that wasn't bred selectively to prove that it was their line breeding that has changed them, so the camera followed them into this control group and when the lady put her hand near the cage they would snarl and try to bite her through the cage. Comparing this to the selective bred foxes, she would put her hand near the cage and they would rush up to her and try to lick her through the cage, much like an excited puppy.

It's only a few generations of selective breeding that has got them this far. They already had individuals with colour mutations (fully white, etc.) and tail mutations (curly tail, extra puffy tail, etc.). I wonder how they will end up with the same extensive select breeding that our modern day dogs went through.

Either way I don't want to see them in Australia.

But a federal Environment Department spokeswoman said the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act ''allows for any person to submit a proposal to amend the live import list''.
''There is no provision in the Act for a 'quick no' or 'clearly unacceptable' decision in the process,'' she said

Cool. I'll submit a proposal to allow the import of chameleons....

Unfortunately that means they will revert and adapt to our wild environment just as quickly.

I saw a documentary on this species not too long ago. When they originally brought them into captivity they were vicious, but with selective breeding they ended up with friendly individuals that act similar to a dog. They kept a control group to that wasn't bred selectively to prove that it was their line breeding that has changed them, so the camera followed them into this control group and when the lady put her hand near the cage they would snarl and try to bite her through the cage. Comparing this to the selective bred foxes, she would put her hand near the cage and they would rush up to her and try to lick her through the cage, much like an excited puppy.

It's only a few generations of selective breeding that has got them this far. They already had individuals with colour mutations (fully white, etc.) and tail mutations (curly tail, extra puffy tail, etc.). I wonder how they will end up with the same extensive select breeding that our modern day dogs went through.

Either way I don't want to see them in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back