Cricket Breeding......it begins

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cricket Update:

Sponge has been removed.
Have since cut two more large vents out of the plywood roof.
Am now feeding carrots, fish food flakes, and cos lettuce. Supplied every few days.
Activity has increase alot, death toll is down and the crickets are now starting to really get on track with growing and shedding.

At this stage things are looking promising.

looks pretty good mate, i would love to set one of these up...hope it goes well for ya this time round...

Regards...
Ash...

Cheers Ash.

Yeah i sort of thought that when i started the thread, that i'd continue to keep it updated- mainly so others wanting to do the same thing can see the mistakes i've made whilst taking in everyone elses opinions that have been posted.

Hopefully it not only works with me, but that someone else may find this thread of some use later on.

:)

I place peat moss in a chinese container and place in the adults tub for bout a week (give or take). At this time you can clearly see thousands of eggs through the sides of the container sitting just beneath the surface.

They will be bout 3-4mm in length and be roughly clear in appearance.

Incubation- i do them at bout mid to high twenties and it takes bout 12-14days for all to hatch out.

I have read that u need to keep soil moist Will spraying with mister help or will this kill the eggs?? This thread has been a great help thanks guys

spray spray away i do;) put lids on to helps keep in moisture
cheers

Glad to hear others are finding it helpful.

I've done this using two methods in the past.
First time i did it i covered the peat container in a stocking and then placed a lid on top- using no additional water other than that used to initially moisten the peat. I found this worked great, but if you have spikes in temp, it can lead to mould. Regardless i wa still lucky enough to have a good hatch rate.

Second time round (when this thread was started) i took the peat container and placed it straight into the incubator- inside another tub however- and sprayed the peat when the top surface began to show signs of it drying out. I would have sprayed it i think 2-3 times over the incubation period of 2 weeks, not alot but just enough to re moisten the surface.
This too had a great hatch rate.

JMO and yet everybody prob does this different.

They are thriving!!
Growth rate has been fantastic since the changes i've made (ie additional ventilation, larger offerings of carrot, adjustment of temp and prob the most influential......the fish food flakes!!!
They love the stuff, i think its been the biggest aid for me.

Vast majority of the inhabitants are now up around medium sized with a few stranglers.
So i'm happy to say that phase one has been a success.

Now the more important job will be to keep the cycle going.

It should be noted, for those using this as a guide, that at no stage thus far have i used any of the crickets for feed purposes. I think this may be an important issue mainly so people are aware that the cycle process should be underway before dipping into.

Get my drift?

Will keep updated and please any questions fire away.

Heres a few pics of how things are at present. Enjoy.

Attachments

• DSC01912 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01912 (Medium).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01913 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01913 (Medium).JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC01914 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01914 (Medium).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 104
wow great setup, wheni get back into crickets will use some of your ideas

Thanks for advice I have had a hatch as well there are hundreds,first off thought they were ants but now 1 week on they are defenatly crickets Yes they love fish food.

G'day mate,

Slightly off topic. We use those black tubs for communal keeping of various lizards (monitors, skinks, dragons and geckos). Unfortunately no Bunnings in QLD stock them any more. I was wondering if you could tell me the location of the Bunnings you bought yours for, as we really need some more of them.

Thanks,

Jonno and Sharna
Educational Reptile Displays
0413 128 248

Most of your expense was the electrics, speaking of which how did you fix the thermostat?

G'day mate,

Slightly off topic. We use those black tubs for communal keeping of various lizards (monitors, skinks, dragons and geckos). Unfortunately no Bunnings in QLD stock them any more. I was wondering if you could tell me the location of the Bunnings you bought yours for, as we really need some more of them.

Thanks,

Jonno and Sharna
Educational Reptile Displays
0413 128 248

Bunning at Shellharbour was where mine came from. I'm also sure that their Warrawong store has them also.

Most of your expense was the electrics, speaking of which how did you fix the thermostat?

Absolutely cement. I really didn't want to spend the amount i did, but i figured if i was going to do it i'd set it up proper.......plus i didn't have any heating equip or thermostats spare at the time.
The thermostat is fixed with some double sided tape, 2 huge strips running horizontally on the top and bottom of the back of the housing. I've also had to put a few bits of gaf tape on it to secure it recently (mainly because i knocked it and it fell onto carpet and picked up a heap of hair on the tape).

The breakdown of cost was by memory;
Storage tub $40
Microclimate B1 Thermostat $130
Microclimate Heat Mat $60

Not sure where the other $10 was but i'm certain it cost me a total of $240 at the end of the day.

Ok well laying containers have been in circulation for one week now.
Am incubating one container with another due to be removed from the colony.
Incubating at 28deg for bout 2 weeks.
Vast majority of the colony are up to adult size and i have now started using males as feed for my beardies.

Basically the cycle is about to restart- with the biggest change being that i will be offering fish flakes from pinhead size- as i have found it to be the biggest influence on growth rate. Fresh veg is supplied every 2 days and a weekly clean of the colony is also done.

Laying containers are simply chinese containers, which are filled up to bout a cm from the top, with peat moss.

Should this cycle come through ok and with a better growth and survival rate than the last, as i believe it will do so, then i would now call it a success.

Anyone with any further queries feel free to PM or add to this thread.

That's a great setup. I hope to be breeding my own woodies soon as I've heard crickets were a little fragile, but this gives me hope.

I liked reading the front page here, all I could think was it is the most expensive way to catch a house roach .... lmao. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back