Croc Chomps On Shark

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrBredli

THERE'S no need to be scared of sharks when you're in the Northern Territory - the crocs usually get to them first.

Paul van Bruggen snapped these amazing pictures of a 2.5m saltie dining out on a shark on the banks of the Daly River, The Northern Territory News reports.

"We went past one section of the river and we heard some splashing,'' he said.

"We looked across and saw a shark's tail coming up out of the water and then a crocodile's head came up and grabbed it.''

Mr van Bruggen said the crocodile knew exactly what it was doing, dragging the shark on to unfamiliar dry land before finishing off its prey.

"How smart is the crocodile? It if was you or me it would be dragging you in to drown you, but it takes the shark up on dry land,'' he said.

The fisherman, who was on the Daly River last Friday for the Barra Classic, said the crocodile definitely wanted shark for dinner.

"We were about 15 metres away and it didn't bat an eyelid,'' he said.

croc-shark-080523-2.jpg

croc-shark-080523-4.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23745182-421,00.html

gosh they are smart animals. bringing it out ofthe water to kill it. whereas with a land type animal the croc would drown it. amazing animal.

Yep, amazing... looks like the crocs of Daly River have these sharks well and truly figured out!... same river 6 months prior:

An extraordinary encounter between two of nature’s most fearsome man-eaters has been photographed by an amateur fisherman.

Indrek Urvet said that he watched in astonishment as a four-metre (13ft) saltwater crocodile made swift work of a much-smaller bull shark by the remote Daly River in the Northern Territory.

“I just saw this big croc come charging out of the water with a shark flapping in its jaws. I turned my boat to take some photos. Suddenly the croc saw me. He turned around and came shooting towards me.”

Mr Urvet, who said that fishermen on the river frequently lost their catch to the bull sharks before they could reel it in, retreated and watched from a safer distance as the crocodile devoured the metre-long shark.

Bull sharks, which grow to 3.5m, are known to be highly aggressive and, unlike other marine sharks, can dwell for extended periods in both fresh and saltwater.

croc_2_199421a.jpg
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00199/croc_2_199421a.jpg

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article2279065.ece

The Daly river is full of crocs!! no under estimating about that the sharks or anything else for that much dont really stand a chance , if you plan on going to the top end go camp at a place called BIG HORSE CREEK .....thats an eye opener ....

There's a severe size deficiency between the shark and the croc though. But they're awesome pics!

There was the "Life in Cold Blood" show on the other week which showed the crocs in the NT waiting behind a road access over a river for the huge amounts of mullet wanting to come into the river.

There's a severe size deficiency between the shark and the croc though. But they're awesome pics!

There was the "Life in Cold Blood" show on the other week which showed the crocs in the NT waiting behind a road access over a river for the huge amounts of mullet wanting to come into the river.

They were tarpon. :)

Amazing the intellect these animals possess, then again I guess your not around on this earth for a couple hundred million years without learning a thing or two ehehe ;)

Tarpon :), I've caught many of fly.

There was one shot where the croc caught one on the side, tarpon are alot more elongated.

Hangon I have the series here i'll bring it back up.

lol reminds me when i was growing up we lived on a lake and i was to scared to swim cause i thought there were sharks and my mum use to say "not to worry the crocs will eat the sharks before they get to you"
guess my mum was always right and i thought she was just trying to scare me even more

yeh! go slim6y!

David atenbourogh(don't think thats the correct spelling) is a really good animal documenture!

did you see the 1 of the rattle snake?

that was truly amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back