Croc on loose in Sydney

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keef

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Croc on loose in Sydney
February 23, 2006 - 1:22PM

Police are hunting a crocodile sighted near a Sydney northern beaches industrial unit block.

Northern Beaches police have been called to a waterway at Cromer after receiving reports the croc was sighted in a natural spring.

But it's no man-eater.

A police spokeswoman says staff from the Australian Reptile Park believe it's a Johnson's crocodile, about 50 to 60cm in length.

The Johnson's freshwater crocodile, native to northern Australia, can grow up to three metres but is not known to attack people.

The creature is reportedly eating carp in a natural spring in an industrial unit block on South Creek Road.

Police are working with Australian Reptile Park staff and hope to capture the crocodile tonight.

Once captured, the reptile will be placed in a suitable animal park.

It is not yet known how the crocodile entered the waterway.

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/croc-on-loose-in-sydney/2006/02/23/1140563903201.html

its actually a salty. heres an updated report

http://smh.com.au/news/national/sydneys-budding-maneater-found/2006/02/23/1140563909311.html

A crocodile, which has the potential to grow into a man eater, has been found in a Sydney waterway.

Police, and staff from the Australian Reptile Park, were called to a waterway at Cromer on the city's northern beaches after reports that a 60cm crocodile had been spotted in a natural spring.

Australian Reptile Park operations manager Craig Adams, who saw the creature last night, identified it as an estuarine crocodile, commonly known as a "saltie".

The species is responsible for all fatal crocodile attacks on humans in Australia and can grow to at least six metres.

The crocodile had earlier been misidentified as a Johnston's freshwater crocodile, which can grow up to three metres but is not known to attack people.

The crocodile had been eating carp in a natural spring in an industrial unit block on South Creek Road.

"We got a look at it last night after a few calls," Mr Adams told Macquarie Radio.

"I went down ... put a torch out there and sure enough it surfaced on cue."

Mr Adams said there had been a few attempts at trying to net the creature, but it had proved elusive to catch.

He said it was most likely the crocodile came from somewhere in the Top End (of the Northern Territory) where someone had captured it and taken it south.

"If I was going to speculate, I'd say a kid's chucked it in there who got it off a mate who got it when he was up north and brought it home as a hatchling, held onto it for awhile and then maybe (his) dad said 'look you've gotta get rid of that'," Mr Adams said.

He said it would be a "wonderful attraction" for a northern beaches cafe.

"(But) it just won't survive the winter unfortunately."

He said the reptile was yet to be granted a name.

"The water's pretty smelly in there, so maybe Mr Stinky," he joked.

"But we don't know the sex."

Acting Inspector Luke Arthurs from Dee Why police said his officers would be assisting Australian Reptile Park staff in trying to catch the crocodile.

He also said would-be spectators should stay away.

"We are concerned if people do enter the pond it will scare the crocodile off and they (the wildlife officers) won't be able to grab it," Insp Arthurs said.

Once captured, the reptile will be placed in a suitable animal park.

Sigh! God I wish The federal Gov would allow keeping Frshys in nsw without exhibition license.

Cool story anyway. :)

P.s Good thing Salties are hardy, sydneys polluted waterways challenge anything!

ik heard it was in cromer somewhere, and the creeks in cromer are not the cleanest lol. i wonder how long its been in there for?

dunno but they say the little fella wont survive the winter here. hopefully they catch it soon

Did someone say this is Johnson's Salty??? I'll be right over to pick it up.

Keef said:
Johnson's freshwater crocodilel

as the freshwater is a johnstonii the above can only be referring to my ownership of a saltie that was mistaken for a freshie.

just saw on the news that they caught the little fella too

Baby croc's are so cute... it is a pity they grow to be so big.

I watched footage of the capture on the morning news. I guessing this little guy will end up at the Australian Reptile Park.

The story did not get a gernsey in The Melbourne Age but the SMH covered it:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/02/23/1140670213316.html?from=top5

At least we in Victoria are allowed to keep croc's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back