Crocodiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Does anyone keep freshwater crocodiles?
Had the opurtinity to handle some yesterday thought they were beautiful.

I would love to get fresh water crocodiles but you can?t keep them in NSW, does anyone know of a license you can get to keep these guys in NSW.

Yeah you need an exhibitors license which means that you would have to do shows with them or somehow else exhibit them (I think the NPWS even made a rule recently where they say you have to do a certain amount of exhibiting)

I have a freshie and two salties now. Had the freshie for a couple of years, wanted something a bit different, so got a pair of salties. amazing how different the two species behave :D

danw said:
Yeah you need an exhibitors license which means that you would have to do shows with them or somehow else exhibit them (I think the NPWS even made a rule recently where they say you have to do a certain amount of exhibiting)

How big is your freshie and what if any problems have you had with habitat etc?
Thanks

Is it hard to get an exhibitors license, or can you just easily apply for one? I could do shows with family and friends that?s not hard to do, or do you need a great deal of knowledge for these guys to do shows and have proof of knowledge to apply for a exhibitors license?

Deano wrote:
Is it hard to get an exhibitors license, or can you just easily apply for one? I could do shows with family and friends that?s not hard to do, or do you need a great deal of knowledge for these guys to do shows and have proof of knowledge to apply for a exhibitors license?

Contact the Registrar of the Exhibited Animals Protection Act, Matthew Crane of the NSW Dept of Primary Industries on Ph 02 6391 3716

I gave them a call and you do need to have a lot of experience to be able to apply for an exhibitors license, and he said you will need to do like 100 shows a year, that sucks how you cant keep the reptiles you want and you have to be in a certain state to keep them its not like there exotic there all Australian species.

Deano said:
I gave them a call and you do need to have a lot of experience to be able to apply for an exhibitors license, and he said you will need to do like 100 shows a year, that sucks how you cant keep the reptiles you want and you have to be in a certain state to keep them its not like there exotic there all Australian species.

It would not be worth it anyway, yearly fee for exhibitors license ranges from $250-$900, and just a $200 fee to lodge your application, and the amount of regulations and paperwork would not be worth your time and money just to keep a species you can't keep here. Just to get a basic exhibitors license approved for species allowed in NSW is hard enough on it's own.

Different states have a different species list, it's just the way it is, there is no overall governing body for it Australia wide. In VIC, you can keep basically anything, including native mammals, but you can't keep file snakes and some monitors etc...go figure.

So if you want a croc anytime soon, you'll have to move to VIC or NT :wink:

Croc

Nome said:
Deano said:

It would not be worth it anyway, yearly fee for exhibitors license ranges from $250-$900, and just a $200 fee to lodge your application, and the amount of regulations and paperwork would not be worth your time and money just to keep a species you can't keep here. Just to get a basic exhibitors license approved for species allowed in NSW is hard enough on it's own.

Different states have a different species list, it's just the way it is, there is no overall governing body for it Australia wide. In VIC, you can keep basically anything, including native mammals, but you can't keep file snakes and some monitors etc...go figure.

So if you want a croc anytime soon, you'll have to move to VIC or NT :wink:

Or Boyds :(

Just being curious has anyone in this list actually moved states because they couldn?t get a species they really wanted do people actually go that far?

yup. i know of a couple that have. not so much one species, but they have moved due to the general anal retentive rules governing herps in that state.

I think that?s great what people do for the love of there hobby, I cant see myself moving out of NSW as I have been here all my life but I would love to get fresh water crocodiles and salt water crocs but with me saying that I want to get them legally, do you guys recon the rule will ever change do you think they will allow people to start keeping crocs in NSW and allow people to keep other species in there states?

You have a pretty good choice in NSW. You can keep any natives that you can prove you can get legally, except for crocs (a government - not NPWS - directive) and marine reptiles (sea snakes and turtles).

Crocs arent easy to keep at all.. I think its good you that in NSW you need to be suitably experienced to have the exhibitors licence to keep crocs.

Are they harder to keep than monitors? I don?t think anything is hard to keep as long as you have the right requirements and do some research for that particular species you want before you get it, and how the hell do you go about getting experience for these guys if you live in NSW and no one has them, so its impossible to get a exhibitors license?

Exhibitors licenses are hard to get for very good reason, plenty of ways to get experience if you are serious about it, ie volunteering somewhere, find someone else that has an exhibitors license and spend time around them, etc etc.

I'm glad it's hard here to get the exhibitors license, or any person that wanted something that isn't available on their license could apply, then it hardly seems like there is any point in having a restricted species list. Some things on there seem strange to be restricted, others for very good reason. Just have to go into VIC petshops to see the benefits of the strictly regulated NSW system.

-Naomi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back