Cunningham skink hybernation issue :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipsylama

Reaction score
I currently have 4 Cunningham skinks in a large outdoor enclosure.
They have just started coming out of there hibernation and ive noticed one of my females eyes have seem to crusted over some what and im really wondering about how i could fix this? ive dabbed her eyes with a wet cotton bud and they have seemed to have unstuck abit but are still nowhere near as open as before.

Need ideas on what i can do?
Picture of each eye.
Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 90
Without seeing it... It could be dietary, dehydration or caused by foriegn material causing infection or irritation. It could be a number of things. I have had similar issues and with attention to nutrition, water, bathing and sunshine it went away.

Ok well it could be the eating thing as she hasn't eaten in a few months due to hibernation shes been drinking and gets sunlight ect so maybe ill put her inside in her own tank and try to get her feeding again.

The crusty matter sounds like mucus that has dried. If that is the case, to remove it I would suggest softening first and then irrigating the eye to remove it.

Plain water will irritate the eye. You should use a salt solution such as isotonic or normal saline that will not irritate it. This is because the salt concentration is the same concentration as normal body fliud. These solutions are available from the chemist (for use with contact lenses) or you can make up your own. 9g (1 level tsp) of table salt or sea salt dissolved in 1L of water. Water that has been boiled several minutes then covered and allowed to cool will be sterile. You can add the salt while it is still boiling and it will dissolve and distribute quickly. This will keep OK in a clean air-tight container in the fridge for a week or more. A glass container is preferable but not essential.

To soften the encrusted mucus, hold a saline (at room temperature) soaked cotton ball over the eye for 5 to 10 minutes. You will see a visible change in consistency as it softens. Once soft, irrigate the eye with fresh saline by squeezing it out of a cotton ball over the eye. Do NOT touch the eye. Hold the animal over a bowl or the sink to catch the contaminated saline runoff. Mucus around the outside of the eye can be removed with a cotton bud. Likewise for the eye lid but be very gentle and do NOT touch the eye surface. You do not want to risk damaging the cornea.

You may need to repeat this once a day for several days. Hope this of some help.

Blue

Cheers for that mate will do!

Bit of an update she was out today and one of her eyes have completely opened and the other one is half way :D.

That is snot what I called it!

Great to hear!

Blue

PS.

Q: What is the similarity between broccoli and snot?
A: They are both green.

Q: What is the difference between broccoli and snot?
A: Kids will eat snot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back