Cunningham Skink questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvthemtorts

Reaction score
I have 2 08' babies arriving this week and had a few questions.
Here in the States I have access to Cypress mulch and milled Sphagnum Moss. I have used both with great success with other species but am torn between which to use for the Cunninghams. I am thinking the rough texture of the Cypress will aid in shedding however I suspect the dry compacted Sphagnum might more resemble the consistancy of what they might encounter in the wild. Once dry and compressed it becomes somewhat like dried earth without the heavy weight associated with soil and allows for burrowing.
Any suggestions on which might be more suited for use in their new enclosure?

Thank you in advance!

1st of all. I dont see the problem where you have posted you question (exotics/other reptiles)
Cunninghams are not snakes so OTHER REPTILES would cover them.

2nd, In the wild Cunninghams live in rocky out crops and heavly granited areas.
Depending on the size of your enclosure, I would put in a natural rock feature wall, just stack rocks random so as there are heaps of cracks for them to hide in.

Before you work out the substreight, do you tub feed or feed in the enclosure?
If you tub feed, I would suggest the mulch. Although the mulch is no good if you feed in the enlcosure, as the crickets ect, can get under and hide before your lizards will get a chance to eat.
Tub feed mulch, enclosure feed sphagnum (but wet it down and let it harden).

Thanks for the replies guys (or gals :D)!
I think I will go with the Cypress mulch and see how that works out. Plenty of slate will be used to provide crevices as well as basking spots on the warm side of the enclosure. To be on the safe side I will also be providing cork bark flats on the cooler end should they choose to utilize them.
I do have another question.
I have gotten conflicting information regarding basking temps. I have heard a basking area of 85-90 degrees is appropriate while another keepr mentioned basking temps in the 105-110 range. Since the animals in question are just a few months old I don't want to cook them but in the same turn would hate to court a respiratory infection by not having it hot enough.

Thank you again for the replies and any information shared is always appreciated!

You would be doing well to kill a Cunningham, they are tough as boots. Cunninghams naturally live in a huge range of climates incuding areas with high winter snowfall, keep them anywhere between 20 deg C - 28 deg C and they will thrive. The only problems you generally have with Cunninghams is their highly territorial nature, thus making it near impossible to add a new enclosure mate further down the line.

Well they arrived and they are GORGEOUS!
Settled right in immediately and ate and drank within 10 minutes of being placed in the new enclosure.
They are much faster than I expected but not particularly shy. They just sit there and watch me with their heads cocked to the side unless I try to touch them.
Anyways, enjoy the pics and thanks for the suggestions!
CunninghamSkinkJP01.jpg

CunninghamSkinkJP02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back