cutting glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelia_man

Reaction score
i have gotten some glass off a friend for free and it is 10ml thick. it is for my bank of enclosures and i was wondering if anyone knows how to cut glass this thick?? i have a friend of the family doing it on monday arvo but i was just curious if anyone has cut glass this thick before??

cheers
charles

yeah he owns his own business so i am pretty sure he knows what he is doing. he said something about useing a sander and stuff. i dunno

cheers
charles

Hi MM

it depends if the glass is 10mm float or laminated. If it's straight (float) glass then a good cutter and a grease free surface are reuired for starters. Then it depends how far from the edge you are cutting. This is really tough to break even when scored.

If it's laminated then it's a two part operation. Score one side and crack the top layer. Turn over the glass and score the other side in line with the first crack then crack that side. Then you need to part the laminating film. I think metho will do that.

Polishing the edges is also hard work. Use a good breathing mask and wear proper saftey goggles.

Let us know how you go.

G

Metho is indeed the stuf for melting through the laminating film, trouble is my missus always drinks it before I get to use it :)

LOL Afrofish you are killer.
I hope that the glass is not toughened.

I'd get a pro to cut it for sure...
Take it to a glazier and have it cut to size as well as machine all edges.This will help when trying to slide open/close the glass door as it wont have a rough or sharp surface then. :)

and you can get finger grips machined into it for about a dollar each ! But, CC, I think the earlier post did say it was being cut by a professional glazier anyway and that this thread was just out of interest :)

Ooops :oops:
Ok well just out of interest take it to a glazier to be cut to size.Also get him to machine all edges so that they are not sharp or rough,this will help the glass to slide in the tracks smoothly as well as reduce the risk of cuts etc.While your at it you can get the glazier to machine some finger grips also so it is easier to slide. :wink:

Ahhh yes Monday arvo he was getting it cut.
Well im just a little slow lol, I only just found this thread then,I must have missed when it was posted. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back