Cutting Laminated Melemine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanG

Reaction score
Hey all, I am thinking about building a melamine enclosure and I want tips on cutting it because it is white laminated melamine and wouldn't it chip or something like that when you cut it? Thanks
Jordan

Just cut it as you would normal timber.
Either bench saw or circular saw.

I put masking tape (the papery stuff) where I'm going to cut and haven't had problems at all
Cheers

if you buy it from bunnings they have a cutting service that does pretty clean cuts $1 each cut, also if you use a circ saw use a new blade so the melamine doesnt chip :)

use masking tape also put the side of the board that will be showing facing down. i found this made it chip less.

If using a circular saw, use a blade with small teeth and have the saw set as shallow as possible.
Best to use precut sizes if possible but - WARNING - check that the sizes exactly match - I've brought 1200mm pieces from the big green shed that varied from 1200 to 1210.

If you have a bit of spare board and clamps to make a guide and a long router bit you can get a perfectly clean edge. Just make sure you come in on the ends towards the centre a bit or you can blow out a chunk.

I just want to thank you all for the great advice I read on here last night as i to was starting a melamine enclosure for my new girl who is coming in a few days and it now looks awesome, all that is left is to add the decorations and start heating for my new baby
Thanks Guys couldn't have done it without the advice
especially the tape then cut with a circular saw it cut perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back