cutting probe thermostat wires??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowdnboy

Reaction score
G'Day.

I have a probe on / off thermostat. The ones with the wire cord that goes to the receptor. I currently have this in an old fridge incubator i used to run on the beardy eggs. I'm now using the incubator with a new thermostat and want to re use this probe thermo on something different.

Heres my problem. Yrs ago when I built the incubator, I used a heap of silicon to fill the gap that lead into the fridge and now cant get it out to pull the receptor out!!! without damaging heat cord and so on...

Question, because this is a metal cord, do u think it would still work if I cut it and then reconnected it with solder over the top using the soldering iron??? Has anybody had to do this before? and did it work or not.

Cheers

Doubt it will work. They're calibrated to such a small change in resistance that the join may throw it all out. Should be able to pull it out if its just siliconed in.

Sounds like you need to use persistance,not sure if it comes in a can but its better than the huge risk that it will work afterwards if you modify or upset the calibration in anyway..

fair points....hmmm..thanks guys. may have to get the scalpel and start doing some surgery on the silicon.

Cheers

If the fridge is not going to be used again then you can drill a series of holes around the hole where the probe goes in and that should loosen the silicon enough to pull it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back