Daisy ;s Injuries

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hevonline

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Well after driving many miles and exausting evry contact I had, I still felt I need to know more.
Around 5 kilo peice of wood fell across Daisy leavingher injured in several spots.
She has emphasemia, and little puffy sacs around her throat, where the air is leaking.(Thinkits busted pheuma thorax?)
Doenst appear that her ribs have broken off and punctured the lung, so its just a case of waiting now.
She had an anti amflamotory, and Baytril injections, and Im thinking of getting some vitamin supplements for hr.
I will be a slow recovery if at all,though she doesnt seem to be deterioratinging yet, snakes can be decieving though .Hard to tell how sick they are just by looking at them
Ive been told from a person that deals with alot of cases where snakes are inured on the road,cats ect.
He told me, sometimes he has seen the worsest injuries make a full recovery, yet the same sometimes suddenlyfail.
Even if she recovers from this, there is still the problem with her not fully unshedding last time leaving patches.Itried evrything, and wet towels, now Im not in aposition to handle her, but Im wondering what will happen if they arent taken off, and what could you use?
Thanks Everyone.Heather

Last edited:
Have you tried Mutton Bird oil?
It is pretty good for putting condition back on an animal, but I would check with your vet that it won't clash with anything Daisy is on first.

Mutton Bird Oil

Nice looking Diamond by the way

In light of all that has happened, the retained shed is probably the least of your concerns? You can't handle her to apply wet towels, and upping the humidity will only aggravate her resp issues...
What did the vet suggest?

Well after driving many miles and exausting evry contact I had, I still felt I need to know more.
Around 5 kilo peice of wood fell across Daisy leavingher injured in several spots.
She has emphasemia, and little puffy sacs around her throat, where the air is leaking.(Thinkits busted pheuma thorax?)
Doenst appear that her ribs have broken off and punctured the lung, so its just a case of waiting now.
She had an anti amflamotory, and Baytril injections, and Im thinking of getting some vitamin supplements for hr.
I will be a slow recovery if at all,though she doesnt seem to be deterioratinging yet, snakes can be decieving though .Hard to tell how sick they are just by looking at them
Ive been told from a person that deals with alot of cases where snakes are inured on the road,cats ect.
He told me, sometimes he has seen the worsest injuries make a full recovery, yet the same sometimes suddenlyfail.
Even if she recovers from this, there is still the problem with her not fully unshedding last time leaving patches.Itried evrything, and wet towels, now Im not in aposition to handle her, but Im wondering what will happen if they arent taken off, and what could you use?
Thanks Everyone.Heather

no mention of "vet" visit, and a lot of heresay from " expert "

remaining shed can be removed, dependence on open wounds most times a swim and using your hand to apply enough pressure to allow snake to move skin off

Mutton bird oil

Whats mutton bird Oil, where would you find it.,Like health food shops?For her skin, or take internally?Yer she definaly need some supplements, vet told me not to try and feed her for at least 2 weeks.
She looks alot pooorer at the moment obviously, though fingers cross, she will make a recovery back to her glorious self. Kind Regards Heather

In light of all that has happened, the retained shed is probably the least of your concerns? You can't handle her to apply wet towels, and upping the humidity will only aggravate her resp issues...
What did the vet suggest?
He said he wanted to take samples of the affeted scales and send them to another Vet, not his fault, but hes not a snake Vet, and didnt seem to know much.
Once again, because he was in a hurry , the night we got in , like you say, i thinkm he also thought that was the least of worries too.
Just me as usuall, trying to think ahead -just not sure how an old shed that has left alot behind, how does it get sticky and wet again (with lymphs), to be able to get off in like a double shed, or is there no otherway, but by manually removing it.
Regards Heather

remaining shed can be removed, dependence on open wounds most times a swim and using your hand to apply enough pressure to allow snake to move skin off

Yer, she got in to the Vet up here on Wed late, -You must of missed it,s in my other posts and letters to friends.before that though I had a guy from Rusa Park Zoo, give me a bit of advise, I went out there.I was very inpatient about the Vet and just wanted to gather as much info as possible ,
Thanks for the water and rub method, but I have tried soaking her for 40minutes in warm water, and attempting to rub off the remader, yet it seemed to hard to peel off, and made her uncomfortable when I pulled it.It really doesnt seekm to want o come off.

Expert enough for me

On yer, the expert you speak of Im not sure who you mean tbut to say over those couple of days while waiting, she was een by a few people not experts, though I would consider that taking to the Hunter Valley Zoo not far from here, I was given this helpful information from there snake guy( Im pretty sure he has some sort of diploma regarding his reptile knowledge and the positionn he holds at the zoo.He told me of many true accounts of wounded snakes, and Ive learned alot.

sorry to hear about your snakes injury...hope it recovers quickly.....next time dont put anything heavy that could fall on it in the enclosure...
cheers
Wayne

Very Accidental

sorry to hear about your snakes injury...hope it recovers quickly.....next time dont put anything heavy that could fall on it in the enclosure...
cheers
Wayne
It was heavy wooden picture frame that was on the wall that hit her.
Yes I take full responcibilty and thats aaanthor reason its so frustrating and sad.
It was after a betadine soak in the tub-, I got her out of her bath and while I was trying to help the leftover shedoff, there was a peice of cord attached to some blinds.that I forgot she could reach.When she pulled on it, it knockked the wall, inturn, the picture frame came down.landing on her.To make matters worse, it was a picture of myself in the frame that hit her and the frame was actually made by my first husband.
This has not been in vain though.For many years, this snake has survived fine, in a modified outdoor enclosure.
Only this year, have I brought her inside and although it would seem that even though she is in a roomy ,well vented glass tank, with heating, she developed a scale infection.This in turn, contributed to an unfinished shed, that is still partly there.
Ive learnt that the more we bring snake into our enviroment, the more stress, adapting , and getting settled again, is somwthing that the snake definately has setbacks, every time, she is interupted and displaced.Going to hae to thinkof something different for next winter.
Also , when bathing my snake or doing anything where she is inside and being handled,that all aspects of its safety must be checked, just a once over to make sure you are tending to snake in an appropriate, and safe, clear area.
Otherwise be prepared, for youll feel like a peice of ****, even if its something remote.
Snakes are innocent,please dont be as careless as I was, I will certainly know to be more aware in the future. Regards Heather

Well said Heather, we are responsible for our animals care and safety. I have a few animal babies and I am really protective of them, if they are hurt I go into stress more than they do I think and it's straight to the vet if I can't help them. Luckily I was a vet nurse years ago and can do basic first aid on them, so the chance of them going into shock is lessened.
I hope Daisy will get better soon :)

Same 'cosmicwolf'

Well said Heather, we are responsible for our animals care and safety. I have a few animal babies and I am really protective of them, if they are hurt I go into stress more than they do I think and it's straight to the vet if I can't help them. Luckily I was a vet nurse years ago and can do basic first aid on them, so the chance of them going into shock is lessened.
I hope Daisy will get better soon :)

Thankyou for your words of support.Although,y i i did a litlle Vet nursing when I was High School, I am more educated on Pharmacology in humans.
I feel so helpless when Daisy is is strife.She looks so sad in her tank,trying to get into her water dish-poor girl, I continue to stare at her, I check her so often, I was told its probably annoying her and can hinder and delay the healing process, .So Ive put her up in other part of house , quite, were she can rest solid.
Apart from a little comfort heating in winter, dasiy seem to be better off just left alone , she is used to the climate, and half hibernates in winter for a few months.
Thinkmit'll definately be outside again for this big girl.
Thanks Heather

Hevonline
I am so sorry to here about your snake but please try and not blame yourself these things just happen and if you go over and over the situation again trying to think what could I have done to prevent this it will eat you alive...............it happened and it cant change so instead maybe try and focus on helping your bubbi girl as much as possible
Dont worry about the emails and pms when I first came on here I was called a liar and a forum troll when I asked about getting a first python I was told I was typing things to get attention (funny how they accused me of lying and they were the ones making a scene) even though I was asking about snakes and apparently because my forum name is Cuddly_pony and I have "excellent typing skills" and dont talk in text I was lying about my age and was a forum troll and couldnt be trusted
So dont worry I know how you feel :) Can I add you as a mate??

So many people are giving you good advice, yet when you hear something you don't want to hear, or get asked a question, you turn into some psycho freak?! weirdo..
So many good people are just trying to help you and your snake, yet you decide to become hostile toward them..

Ok after reading what people have posted obviously I havent cottoned on to the full story lol!!!
But I agree either take advice or leave it after all its all up to you :)

Yer, Im probably all that and more.Peop miles, phoingle keep saying they are only trying to help, though when I went back over the public comments, it was becoming evident, that some people on her like to wield their sword of knowledge, and although they didnt like me, I can assure you, more than half, were more concerned about my personal situation and named my attitude as the reason, they were sayingthings like'You dont deserve to have animals, and you have no idea, and i was also 'cruel'.
As for not wantin to go into why she couldnt be seen for 2 days, is because, I had booked the good Vet from Sugar loaf and he wasnt in till then,
I did go to other vets, I also went to Rusa Park Zoo, I was impatient about then diagnosis, and thought Id get some info for here.
After driving her for miles and exausted evry avenue regarding Vet assistance.I just had to wait.She hadnt died and it was 3 days later, so I was beingtold, she prob be ok at least a week or so. was too emotional, and just flipped.
I dontknow if you understand, but being questioned about, my ability to get her to a Vet when neccesary, was the main point of the post.
Im not an expert but did find that hurtful that so many had advise but because of not liking me personal, I am a reasonable ,honest person, that strives for truth and the things Im passionate about.
Thankd for understading my situation.

Crap happens & the only thing you can do is move forward, forget all the drama's.

As long as your doing ok, the snakes getting the best treatment you can offer at the time. What else can you do?

I'm glad you stuck around and continue to share the progress of daisy. She is one fine looking diamond.

How old did you say she was?

Hevonline i hope daisy pulls through to a full recovery, sounds like she has some good support in you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back