Darwin: Strange behavior and not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpious

Reaction score
Howdy. I've been away from the net for a while but I have been having some problems with one of my Darwins and am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or has any ideas.

I cooled my trio of Darwins, doubting I would breed them this year but mainly doing it to get some experience for next year. I begun warming them up a few weeks ago, and two of the Darwins have been eating steadily for the last 4 weeks. The third has shown no interest at all. I have tried rats and mice of varying size. I am going to try a few more things this week, ei. chicken soup, scenting with a skink, but I surprised he is not interested. He has never given any problems with feeding before.
I also tried putting him in with the female incase he was too horny to bother eating but he wanted nothing to do with her and spent a good hour trying to escape her (freaking whenever he touched her) and the enclosure before I removed him.
Now for the last week or so he has been getting spurts of activity where he spends 30 minutes trying to push his way through the glass or the door.

Temperature is 30 C hot end (same as he was for 6 months before cooling), humidity has stayed constant. So nothing has really changed enviroment-wise. Any advice appreciated.

probebly just wants to stay cool for a bit longer. bump up the themp under the lights so it hit 35-36 for a couple of days and that should fix it. as long as there is a cool end of about 27. the other thing is do you have a night drop in your enclosures? if you do the night drop might be for to long .i.e as in winter has longer nights. this also could be the problem. if it was eating before it will eat again when it wants to

Thanks Bikie. I don't have night-time temps as they are on a normal thermostat (and I work nights). I will give raising the temps a try and try again in a few days. I wasn't too concerned at first but this is the first time this particular snake has given me any trouble at feeding time in the year I've had it.

Is the snake that won't eat the male by any chance? Males usually won't feed for a few months after they are warmed back up, they are more intent on finding a mate than feeding. The fact that it is more active than normal would indicate that it's a male on the prowl for a girl. I wouldn't worry about enticing it to feed, just let nature take it's course.
Splitmore

It was the male, I put it in with the female and he had no interest in her (was actively avoiding her). Spent the entire time trying to escape until I returned him to his enclosure. Thats what threw me. I guess he might be a little picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back