deadly snakes found in melbourne raid

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

horsenz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
VICTORIAN Government officers have seized three deadly snakes that were illegally kept on a property in Melbourne's northwest.
A death adder, an olive python and a boa constrictor were found on the Dalahey property about 8am (AEDT) today.
Department of Sustainability and Environment senior investigator Drew Wilson said all three snakes would be put down because the boa constrictor, native to South America, had a contagious disease.
The boa constrictor has inclusion body disease (IBD).
"As a precaution against the spread of disease, we now have to euthanise two native Australian snakes," Mr Wilson said.
"They cannot be released back into their natural habitats because this disease would have devastating effects on the wild populations."
The death adder is regarded as the ninth deadliest snake in the world.
Olive pythons are found in Australia's tropics and boa constrictors are banned in Australia.
A 19-year-old woman will be charged on summons for keeping native snakes without a permit and for illegally possessing a boa constrictor.
The woman faces fines of up to $110,000, two years' jail, or both, for keeping the boa constrictor.
She also faces fines of up to $24,000, a jail sentence of up to two years, or both, over holding the native snakes without a permit.

And this is exactly why exotics should remain illegal.
4 years in jail will learn her. But she will probably only get a fraction of the maximum penalties

They would never be released into the wild anyway, what a complete load of crap. So the Boa Constrictor just conveniently displayed the symptoms of IBD ?

Hang on, has IBD been diagnosed in Australia before? Cause if it hasnt, it means that boa would have to have been brought in within the last couple of months (otherwise it would be dead).....would be interesting to know if it was an adult...cause I cant see someone smuggling an abult boa.....meaning Boa is right, they're just full of crap (common knoweldge, but would be interesting to prove it ;)). Any more info floating 'round?

As far as i know IBD was here around 10 years ago(well there was alot of hype anyway) im fairly sure it was contained fairly well.

PErhaps someone who knows stuff will correct my vague memory.

I highly doubt that the Boa had IBD at the exact time of the bust, but they are just following protocol I guess, and stating that it has it, just sounds better for them.

They would be dragged over hot coals just for euthanising a healthy snake so it has IBD. Put it down......
What gooses hey...

They would be dragged over hot coals just for euthanising a healthy snake so it has IBD. Put it down......
What gooses hey...

Who would drag them over the coals for killing an abundant species(im guessing) that has no legal demand here :? They have killed plenty of exotics in the past without making such claims.

Perhaps they could spend a few grand to ship the diseased snake overseas to keep the bleeding hearts happy :lol:

Hang on, has IBD been diagnosed in Australia before? Cause if it hasnt, it means that boa would have to have been brought in within the last couple of months (otherwise it would be dead).....would be interesting to know if it was an adult...cause I cant see someone smuggling an abult boa.....meaning Boa is right, they're just full of crap (common knoweldge, but would be interesting to prove it ;)). Any more info floating 'round?

IBD has been in Australia for atleast 20years. I had a brisbane carpet die 10years ago with syptoms pointing to ibd. I had it tested and the results were but down to a strain of Distemper, similar to the dog strain??

As for smuggling in hatchlings, it's not worth it for the cash return. You can easily buy CAPTIVE bred in australia exotics in ALL states. A red tail boa captive bred in aus will set you back $75. All illegal ofcourse. Why bother with them. You can make more cash breeding licenced aussie pythons without the risk of fines and jail time.

IBD has been in Australia for atleast 20years. I had a brisbane carpet die 10years ago with syptoms pointing to ibd. I had it tested and the results were but down to a strain of Distemper, similar to the dog strain??

Hey Aiden, were you around the brisbane area at the time your carpet was diagnosed? I remember a group of animals that were purchased by a few people that all died around the time you mentioned. One of the guys that bought a few of the animals was a mate of mine. His Diamonds and Jungles showed signs of IBD and after the animals died, the report came back similar to yours. He ended up humainly killing all of his animals and started fresh. Nasty Nasty thing being unsure if your animals had been in contact with the desease, did you dispose of your animals after learning of the desease in your collection or just monitor them?

I'm not being rude, just curious if you kept them, did any others die or show signs of a sickness?

Thanks
Den

What gooses hey...

The animals could never ever be released, unless a zoo wanted them, I imagine it is standard procedure to euthanise them.

It's standard procedure to euthanase exotics, but natives usually get balloted out to licensed permit holders - at least, that's how NSW do it and i have a feeling Victoria's DSE does the same. To euthanase a native they must have had a pretty good reason.

:p

Hix

Hey Aiden, were you around the brisbane area at the time your carpet was diagnosed? I remember a group of animals that were purchased by a few people that all died around the time you mentioned. One of the guys that bought a few of the animals was a mate of mine. His Diamonds and Jungles showed signs of IBD and after the animals died, the report came back similar to yours. He ended up humainly killing all of his animals and started fresh. Nasty Nasty thing being unsure if your animals had been in contact with the desease, did you dispose of your animals after learning of the desease in your collection or just monitor them?

I'm not being rude, just curious if you kept them, did any others die or show signs of a sickness?

Thanks
Den

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back