Deleani and Vertebralis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To the best of my knowledge, vertabralis are not yet in the hobby (legally) and a member on this site is currently working with deleani but im not sure where he is at with it, im not going to name him but let him jump in if he chooses to.

Well that would mean they were shipped from here, and yet we cant have them? That is ridiculous.

There will be some species that will never be in captivity well at least not legally and common.
I don't think it really bothers me, there's enough variety out in the hobby already....except for Keithornie :p

Even in other countries delaeni and vertebralis are supposedly some of the hardest knobtails to keep, they might need to remain on class 2 permanently here.

Everything I have seen has been second hand, but there seem to be mixed reports on deleani at least. People say stellatus and laevissimus are hard to care for, but we are allowed them :)

Does anyone know the reason why they are not on allowable captives lists? Do petitions work in swaying powers that be into considering or adding new species or these two Ssp of Nephrurus?

delaeni is supposed to be in the same case as stellatus and laevesimus in difficulty, I am not saying we should not be allowed to keep them. The reason vertebralis are not in captivity is because they are in WA and this creates the usual problems of WA animals.

N deleani is a threatened species. Until recently it was listed as vulnerable under the EPBC act (nationally) as well as the SA National Parks and Wildlife Act. I understand last year it was recommended that it be removed from the EPBC list. However, it is also on the IUCN list. With this in mind, applying for a permit and getting approval to collect from the wild is always going to be extremely difficult. Not sure about the status of N vertebralis.

N deleani is a threatened species. Until recently it was listed as vulnerable under the EPBC act (nationally) as well as the SA National Parks and Wildlife Act. I understand last year it was recommended that it be removed from the EPBC list. However, it is also on the IUCN list. With this in mind, applying for a permit and getting approval to collect from the wild is always going to be extremely difficult. Not sure about the status of N vertebralis.

Yes but N.deleani are already in captivity, as far as I am aware vertebralis are not.

N.deleani are indeed in captivity but from my understanding, the number of animals can be counted on one hand. Also, the one private owner I know of them, has old animals that will no longer breed. As I understand, keeping and breeding adults was not the difficult side of N.deleani, it was raising hatchlings. They proved weak that died around the 3-month mark, similar to some N.stellatus and N.laevissimus.

I doubt N.vertebralis will be in private hands within the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back