Depression...does anyone else suffer from it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another sufferer here, in fact most of the people I know have/have dealt with depression at some point in their lives. I've had it for a good 10 years now, on and off, with and without meds and help and as with any condition it takes you on quite a roller-coaster ride of both highs, lows and everything in between!

My advice would be to consult with a trusted doctor, and get the help you need. It's completely up to you in which form of treatment you choose to access, but I've personally found a combination of antidepressants (needed in my case as I have a chemical in-balance) and counselling work well, even if it's initially just a mate or someone you feel comfortable in chatting to, talking through what's going through your head, all those inner thoughts and feelings, helps enable you to acknowledge what you're going through a little more and once it's out there you can finally see things a lot clearer and find ways to deal and cope with your issues.

Being around supportive family and friends always helps too, if you have a good bunch of people around you who are willing to support you through thick and thin, count yourself extremely lucky and blessed and take advantage of the help and company offered.

Wish you nothing but the best with it mate, it's a long daunting road, but it's not all completely bleak and you can definitely get on top of it so chin up! :D

Also I don't drink alcohol because it is a depressant.

I just want to pull you up on this point Grannie.

Depressants are a class of drugs named that way because they depress the central nervous system, not because they cause depression. The depressing or numbing of the central nervous system is one of the ways these types of drugs give us a buzz. That part of the drugs action doesn't cause us to feel depressed, as in sad etc.

The reason i think it is important to explain that is because, particularly young people, may get the idea that other types of drugs (stimulants like speed, ectasy etc) won't cause or atleast contribute to depression. Which is not the case.

Don't read into those comments as me saying that alcohol doesn't contribute to depression, because it is very well known that there is a link between to the two. But i think it is very important to have a proper understanding of what and how these drugs affect us.

Last edited:
my other half suffers from it and takes medication daily wich helps but the tablets make her gain weight and then that depreses her more so very challenging i hope you feel better soon all i can say is you are not alone i hope you have some good family and friends around you to help all the best
mick

I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago, it got to a stage where I made some pretty poor decisions and I have the scars to prove it. The important thing is not to lose hope, whenever you feel down and have voices in your head saying negative things to you, it's important to remember that you're only thinking that because of a medically recognized issue and that it isn't true. I always thought of it as "It's the depression thinking that, not me". You can get anti-depressants from your local GP aswell, as many people will tell you, they're quite helpful.

i was diagnosed 3years ago (08 after nearly killing myself by way of taking all my anti epileptic meds with alcohol! if you know the combo...it can go both ways..vegie for life or one massive seizure and boom! i was told i had high anxiety and had servere depression. then after being put on prozac and attending psych sessions twice weekly, i was told i was ok, only to have my auntie die in 2009 and now recently having to start attending psych sessions again because i have been diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension and having multiple lumbar puntures and hospital admissions to only be told they dont know whats causing it so my stress levels have been through the roof over the past 3 months....

you're not alone, it's not an uncommon thing, with todays work place stress levels and family issues (divorce rates, child health problems like autism and mental delays) more and more people will find themselves going to to the the doctor and saying...'i just don't feel like myself! im always sleeping, tired, sad, never happy' etc

Just know that if you need to feel free to PM one of us and we will understand what you're feeling because chances are we have experienced the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back