Diabetic Snake? (Long story, but very interesting)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm genuinely touched by the dedication you showed towards your snake, and I'm truly sorry that you were not able to save her in the end. Like you say though, she fought long and hard, and now she can rest in peace.

My thoughts are with you from Scotland.

Womas are prone to fatty liver problems when fed a regular diet of rodents in captivity, in the wild they have a low fat diet of birds ,snakes and lizards while rodents only make up a small part of their diet.
i feed my womas very erratically ie 2 feeds a week apart then nothing for 5 weeks ect
this helps them metabolize the high fat content of captive food and i go for smaller half grown rats and feathered quails(lower fat content more calcium/bones+fur) rather than mice (higher fat and protein)
can you post some photos of the condition of the snake.

Sorry just saw the snake has died RIP :cry: Well done with your care anyway you went to a lot more trouble than most would , the hobby needs more people like you.

Last edited:
Frozenmouse: I will have a look at what photos I have and see if any really show how terrible she looked. Won't be til tonight though. I highly doubt fatty liver disease was the cause seeing as she had the issue from a few months old and that all the tests she had done never suggested it.

Some things aren't meant to survive. We are lulled into the belief that 100% success rate is normal with captive breeding, and this is simply not the case. In the wild this animal would not have lasted through the winter following hatch, as is the case with many (even most) hatchling pythons. In a case such as this, even the best husbandry in the world won't bring about change - the animal clearly had a profound physiological weakness which eventually killed it.

Jamie

Some things aren't meant to survive. We are lulled into the belief that 100% success rate is normal with captive breeding, and this is simply not the case. In the wild this animal would not have lasted through the winter following hatch, as is the case with many (even most) hatchling pythons. In a case such as this, even the best husbandry in the world won't bring about change - the animal clearly had a profound physiological weakness which eventually killed it.

Jamie
Yes and then there is that side of it , but you have to try after all there is no nature in captivity.

Jamie

I definitely agree, but as Frozenmouse said, captivity is very different to nature and I was more than willing to give it a go .. it is just sad she could not be saved and I could not even get a definite answer as to what was wrong. Live and learn I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back