diamond hatchies not feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishead

Reaction score
Howdy all, my clutch of little diamonds are nine weeks old now and I haven't been able to get them to feed. I've tried skink scented pinkies, brained pinkies, tease feeding, leaving the pinkies in with them and all that.
Have tried varying the enclosure temps and time of day. Was thinking that as none of them have fed is it that they are all just not ready yet?
How long is it to the usual first feed with diamonds?
Any help from those with experience with diamonds would be much appreciated.
Bye, Steve.

Some start feeding straight after their first shed but the majority take their first meal about 2-3 weeks after their first shed.

I think it's concerning that none have fed for you yet, are they all alert and in good health? The best time is at night, and you will have the most success leaving a thawed pink with them overnight. I have found that most hatchlings prefer fuzzies to mice. I wash the pinkies in hot water then dry them on newspaper and then they are offered.

I like to nudge the hatchlings along the sides of their body using the pinky. This can get them very excited. I nudge the body with the pinky then stick it back in their face, then quickly nudge again on both sides of the body, and all the way down the body, and then quickly stick it back in their face. If they dont back off, but rather hold their ground so that you can push the pinky against their snout, then they will take it.

Have they shed yet? Mine were born 7 march. The smallest one is too small to eat a pinkie so i assist fed him some chicken fillet. He hasn't had his first shed and was wasting away.
Have yours lost condition? maybe they would like something with a little fur on it like a velvet mouse?

Thanks for the tips guys, they have all had their first shed and are alert and seem healthy if a little thin. I'll keep persevering.
Cheers, Steve.

Good advice as usual from the Diamond Lord. 8)

Try rubbing the fuzzy mouse with a Copper-tailed Skink, if they're in your area.
They're the natural prey of choice in much of their range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back