Diamond Python Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggster

Reaction score
Hi all!

Well, now it's getting closer to that time of year when I go to Expo's and try not to buy everything in sight!

Well, my next 'must have' would be a Diamond Python- diamonds are a girls best friend, after all xD.

Only problem I see is that they are an arboreal species, so my current setups would not at all be suitable.

As an adult, I would like to be able to have an enclosure of at least 6 feet high for the snake. Only problem is that anything that big and made for reptiles is so darn expensive!
Of course if it did come down to it, I would pay for an appropriate reptile terrarium, but something I saw whilst browsing caught my eye.

Was having a look at chicken coops online when I came across this :
https://www.bunnings.com.au/qiq-fix-1-5-x-0-8-x-1-5m-zinc-fowl-house-with-shelf_p3440101

I then realised I've seen similar setups for Diamonds at zoos and whatnot, and since it's so much bigger than your standard terrarium (and cheaper...) I thought it would be a great idea!

Just a heads up that I do live the in Sydney area, and Diamonds do live in the wild where I am.

I do plan on keeping this aviary inside with the rest of my critters.

The idea would be to have something like this for when the snake is sub adult to adult. Right now I'm hoping to buy a bigger enclousure for my Woma, move the Stimsons to the Woma's current (100x60x60) , and have the Stimsons current terrarium (60x45x45) as a 'in between' stage from hatchy to adult. I have an old hatchy setup lying around (30x30x20) which would be fine for a hatchy Diamond.

Of course I would have to go have a look at this aviary to make sure there are no major issues (rough edges, gaps, ect), but I was wondering if any of you guys have something similar or have any suggestions, advise, or warnings!

In regards to heating, I would probably have a infrared lamp set to run for approx 6-8hrs during summer, and 4-6 in winter during the day. I would imagine the 'shelf' would be a convient place for the lamp to sit over and be used as a basking spot, but could also potentially see it going somewhere else in the aviary.

@Buggster Those Aviary's/chicken coops are great for Diamonds and the only thing you have to do to them is put a ply floor in it add another 2 hinges to the door to stop the snake pushing the gap open between the hinges and adding a flap over the door edge where the latch is to also stop the snake pushing through the gap, the wire size is perfect and there are no real sharp interior edges, they are a good idea. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

@Buggster Those Aviary's/chicken coops are great for Diamonds and the only thing you have to do to them is put a ply floor in it add another 2 hinges to the door to stop the snake pushing the gap open between the hinges and adding a flap over the door edge where the latch is to also stop the snake pushing through the gap, the wire size is perfect and there are no real sharp interior edges, they are a good idea. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling
Thanks!
I'll definitely have a go at making those modifications (or make someone else do it for me- I should not be trusted with dangerous machinery xD) when I get the aviary.
Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned with an escape however. My reptile room is *almost* Reptile proof- my Stimsons could probably work his way through the largest of cracks in between the floor and the wall, but the Woma (10 months) is already way too big to even think about it!
Of course I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'll go make the modification when the time comes that I would need it. Maybe making my room reptile proof wouldn't hurt either...

Thanks again for the advice!

@Buggster my concerns were not really to stop escape, they were to try and stop injury when it/they tried to exercise the value of the gaps and got hopelessly stuck, a bit of forethought might stop untimely death. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back