Difference between axanthic offsprings and het axanthic offsprings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DZeshawn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does offsprings from an axanthic pairing display a more desirable characteristics compared to offsprings from a het axanthic pairing?

Lets use BHPs for the purpose of this discussion as we do have some people here with successful experience of breeding from het axanthics BHPS as well as axanthic pairs?

Would also be interested to know the ratio of axanthic vs normal looking offsprings and would the normal looking ones be 100% hets?

:?:? The title doesn't sound right....

Should be difference between axanthic pairing offsprings and het axanthic pairing offsprings....

oh well............... :oops::oops:

Recessive genetics regardless of the mutation is usually played out in the following percentages..

Homozygous x Homozygous = 100% Homozygous offspring
Homozygous x Heterozygous( 100% Hets) = 50% Hets, 50% Homozygous
Het x Het = 25% Homozygous, 50% Normals (Not a carrier nor does it display the gene), 25% hets
Homozygous x Normal = 100% hets
Het x Normal = 50% Hets, 50% Normals

Homozygous is an animal that displays the recessive gene eg. Albinos, Axanthics etc..
Hets are carriers of he gene but do not show is therefor it is almost impossible to tell that they are hets unless they come from a particular pairing or have been proven through breeding.
And normals are just well, normals..

So for example, if you have an animal that is Homozygous for a particular gene (lets say in your case Axanthics) and you bred this animal with another animal that is Axanthic then all the hatchlings produced should be Axanthic. Where as if you bred two hets together you would be produceing 25% Axanthics, 50% normals and 25% hets, which then makes all the normal looking animals in the clutch 66% hets.

Thanx MrSpike

So i gather the axanthic gene works in the same manner as albinism. :D

Which also means that axanthic pairings will not neccesary throw better looking axanthic offsprings as compared to het pairings?

Pretty much. All recessive genes work in the same manner, all co-dom work the same etc. It's when you start mixining different mutations with eachother that it will start to mix it up a bit.

And as with the better animals comment, not necessarily... if you look at the progress of Albino's over the past few years they are gradually getting nicer and some awesome animals are being produced every season, and they are only getting better. I think the quality of animals get better regardless with selective breeding.

Is there a fixed ratio for co-dom gene offsprings or is it much more complicated compared to recessive genes?

Co-dom is generally 50/50 when put with an animal that isn't Homozygous for the particular trait... eg. Jags. Where as if the animal is put with another that displays the trait then it will be producing normals, that are normal but do not carry or display the gene, but sometimes are visually nicer in appearance, it will also be producing animals that display this co-dom gene and a super form. For jags this animal is a Leucistic snake. I guess you could look at co-dom animals as visual hets for the super form.

if you bred two hets together you would be produceing 25% Axanthics, 50% normals and 25% hets, which then makes all the normal looking animals in the clutch 66% hets.

I thought it was 25% Axanthics, 50% Hets and 25% normals.
Correct me if im wrong tho.

What if you bred an Axanthic to Albino (as both exist in the BHP family) would you get double Heterozygous offspring???
Then if you raised and bred those offspring back over each other, would you get a 1 in 16 chance of a 'SNOW' BHP????

That would be a crazy morph now don't you think????

Neil and Cathy would be the best breeders to ask, their recent clutches have been from both Ax to Ax and Ax to het. I'm sure that the pattern held would have more of an influence over what is appealing. Thinner bands would mean more background colour.

Yes your right, sorry. I must have made a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back